PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Salad Bowl

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2009, 5:12 PM
Well have a request for a cherry salad bowl set. She wants a main bowl and 8 small bowls. She agreed to $510 for the set. Here is the start. The main bowl is 12" across and 3 3/4" deep. The small bowls will be 7 1/4" across and 2 3/4" deep. These are being finished with Mike Mahoney's walnut oil. I really like the feel and the satin look.

Steve Schlumpf
03-28-2009, 5:18 PM
Very nice Bernie! I am sure she is going to love the set!

The prez of our local turning club is pretty much a production bowl turner and walnut oil is all he ever uses! He swears by it but I haven't tried it yet. I like the idea of having something that is easy to apply and reapply when necessary - so may break down and try it one of these days.

Allen Schmid
03-28-2009, 5:18 PM
Bernie,
Looks like a great start...love the look of the cherry, also the outside curve (in the one photo) has a nice looking subtle detail. Can't wait to see a photo with them all done. Good work.
Allen

Don Carter
03-28-2009, 6:50 PM
Bernie:
I love this wood. Ain't it great to paid to do something that you love to do? Great job on the bowls.

All the best.

Don

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2009, 7:28 PM
Nice work Bernie!

David Christopher
03-28-2009, 7:34 PM
Good looking bowls Bernie. I know he will be happy

Jeff Nicol
03-28-2009, 7:59 PM
Bernie, All you need is an order for one set a week for a year and you could buy lots of toys...ERR Tools! Great order and a great start to the set.

Jeff

charlie knighton
03-28-2009, 8:35 PM
very nice... good order

Dale Miner
03-28-2009, 9:14 PM
Does she have a sister?

(as in, a sister that needs a set)

Dewey Torres
03-28-2009, 9:18 PM
Bernie,
You have been doing very well with your sales this year...

CONGRATS!

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2009, 9:38 PM
Thanks all. Yep sales are pretty good so far. I sent her a e-mail with a picture to see if that's what she had in mind. She said they were beautiful and wanted to know if she wants more can she get them. I told her of course but would need some time. She said she would let me know but thought she might need two more sets for sure. I told her I would need a couple of months to round up the wood and get it turned, dried and re-turned then finish. She said fine. I think I could get to like this.

Bill Bolen
03-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Ohhh Bernie...these are beauts. She's gonna love them in her hand. With retirement coming up for you maby you better start ordering up more wood now. Looks like you are going to be busy...Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2009, 10:08 PM
I hope so Bill. I have been working hard on getting my sanding and finishing down. I really like the feel and look of Mahoney's walnut oil. I have been in contact with Mike and he has been really helpful giving me pointers on sanding and finishing plus some pointers on selling.

Greg Just
03-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Nice job Bernie. That is a great customer to have. You might consider sending her pictures of some of your other fine work. My wife used to have a scrap book business and some rather wealthy woman paid her to cut the pictures out, paste them on pages and decorate them. It was great work for her while it lasted. Looks like you might have found a real gem. Keep up the good work!

David Walser
03-29-2009, 4:17 AM
Bernie,

Congratulations on the commission. You've made a great start on fulfilling the order. The larger salad bowl is wonderful. The smaller bowl appears to have a very stable base -- looks good and won't rock when someone eats a salad out of it. Well done!

Have you offered to make her a set of matching tongs?

Jack Mincey
03-29-2009, 9:37 AM
Bernie,
The bowls look great. I have started using Mike's walnut oil and like it as well. It is my favorite finish for bowls that will be used for food.
Jack

Randy Hoch
03-29-2009, 9:38 AM
Nice Bowls, Bernie. I wish I could get cherry here. I've never turned it but sure do want to. Congratulations on the commissioned set!

Randy

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Bernie,

Congratulations on the commission. You've made a great start on fulfilling the order. The larger salad bowl is wonderful. The smaller bowl appears to have a very stable base -- looks good and won't rock when someone eats a salad out of it. Well done!

Have you offered to make her a set of matching tongs?

David I am turning the handles for the set that CSUSA sells. That's what she wants.

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks again for the kind comments.

Jarrod McGehee
03-29-2009, 1:58 PM
Hey Bernie those are pretty sweet and if she wants more than that's even better!

And Steve, well and Bernie, I have some of the Mahoney's Oil and I'm yet to use it but I made some walnut/beeswax paste wax and that seems like it's going to work well. I've got a friend making a cutting board so I'm going to finish it for him and see how I like it.

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2009, 5:48 PM
Hey Bernie those are pretty sweet and if she wants more than that's even better!

And Steve, well and Bernie, I have some of the Mahoney's Oil and I'm yet to use it but I made some walnut/beeswax paste wax and that seems like it's going to work well. I've got a friend making a cutting board so I'm going to finish it for him and see how I like it.

Thanks Jarrod. Mahoney has a carnuba, beeswax and walnut oil combo. I soak with walnut oil only before applying the wax. Mike said that is the best way.

Dave Halter
03-29-2009, 7:12 PM
Bernie,
As always, great stuff!

Dave

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks Dave.