PDA

View Full Version : Chest of Drawers Material Question

Clint Schlosser
03-28-2009, 5:07 PM
I am going to build a chest of drawers I saw on Fine Woodworking. My question is in the costing of materials for the project. The bill of materials from the plans call for soft maple for most of the internal pieces.

Ash - $2.65 a board foot surfaced.
Soft Maple - $3.77 a board foot surfaced

Is there a reason I wouldn't just order a bunch of Ash and call it a day or is there a reason to use maple instead?

Frank Drew
03-28-2009, 5:21 PM
Clint,

Poplar might be better than either ash or soft maple as a secondary wood that won't be seen, but I'd slightly prefer ash or oak for drawer sides and backs since they're better looking. In any case, I don't think any of the woods mentioned will break the bank since there shouldn't be that much material involved.

Good luck with your project.

Joe Norwood
03-28-2009, 5:44 PM
I've built a bunch of drawers, and I prefer the soft maple. It's harder, denser, cuts cleaner, and finishes better than the ash or poplar. I dove tail all my drawers and I've I just get cleaner joints with the maple. The way I look at it, since you're saving more than 1/2 the cost of buying something 1/2 as nice in a store, why not spend twice as much on the materials, you'll still come out better and when the job is done, you won't 2nd guess yourself, ....I should of.....

Mike Henderson
03-28-2009, 5:45 PM
I like the look of soft maple for internal drawer parts but any of those woods should work. The lack of light keeps the maple "white" for a long time.

As Frank pointed out, there's not a lot of material in the drawers so the cost shouldn't be a big issue.

Mike

Clint Schlosser
03-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Actually it would be fairly significant amount of material since the drawer sides, backs and bottoms call for maple. Its about 1/3 to of the total board feet I would need. So I guess is there a reason to spend more for maple?

Mike Henderson
03-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Unless you're really going for a traditional look, I'd use plywood for the drawer bottoms.

Mike

Steve Rozmiarek
03-29-2009, 1:47 AM
Call me wierd, but I like the look of walnut with poplar as a secondary. Seems kind of nostalgic for some reason. What is your primary on this chest? Of course soft maple is about 4 times as much as poplar here too...

Tom Jones III
03-29-2009, 8:04 AM
Call me wierd, but I like the look of walnut with poplar as a secondary. Seems kind of nostalgic for some reason. What is your primary on this chest? Of course soft maple is about 4 times as much as poplar here too...

I'm with Steve, poplar is really cheap here, it is easy to work and I have had good success dovetailing drawers with it. I also like the surface you get when you sand it and leave it unfinished. When your wife puts silk clothes in the drawers they won't stick or tear on the wood.

Frank Drew
03-29-2009, 9:59 AM
Unless you're really going for a traditional look, I'd use plywood for the drawer bottoms.

Mike

Me, too, although I might consider veneering the ply with one of the aromatic cedars (Spanish cedar is nice), and it would be an easy job if you've got any kind of veneering setup; if you're intent on solid, again, I'd suggest a cedar and I don't think Spanish cedar is too expensive.

Andy Bardowell
03-29-2009, 10:30 AM
What did you mean by surfaced Clint? Is someone doing it for you?

At any rate soft maple shouldn’t be that much, at my yard #1Com Brown or soft maple is going for $1.81 for 4/4.

If it is the dresser that I’m thinking of what are you paying for the cherry?

If you don’t have your own jointer and surface planer see if you can find a guy like this in your area where you can rent some shop time.

http://www.thecarpenterssquare.com/

John Shuk
03-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Two different looks. I prefer maple in most cases as far as appearance. If the ash were quarter sawn I would lean toward that though.

Frank Drew
03-29-2009, 2:55 PM
Two different looks. I prefer maple in most cases as far as appearance. If the ash were quarter sawn I would lean toward that though.

And it would be a better choice than flat sawn for drawer sides and bottoms, if he can find it.

Chris Friesen
03-29-2009, 5:18 PM
At any rate soft maple shouldn’t be that much, at my yard #1Com Brown or soft maple is going for $1.81 for 4/4.

If it is the dresser that I’m thinking of what are you paying for the cherry

I hate you. :)

I'm in Saskatoon, SK. There are no local hardwoods. Around here, retail prices (not big box) for rough soft maple is over $6/bf for 4/4. Cherry is up around $9.

Clint Schlosser
03-29-2009, 5:29 PM
I will inquire about the cost of poplar but I have not heard a good reason not to make all parts from ash.

I did neglect to mention the crib this dresser needs to match is made from Ash as well.

What I meant by surfaced is that the stock is mostly if not completely planed, and jointed at the price listed.