PDA

View Full Version : Meet Ella

Bruce Page
03-28-2009, 4:10 PM
We picked her up this morning from the Animal Humane Association.
She’s a 1yr. old female lab mix. She has an affinity for used tissues and wood shavings, I think she’s going to fit in well. :)

Gene Howe
03-28-2009, 4:29 PM
Good find, Bruce. She looks like a great friend.

Scott Donley
03-28-2009, 5:56 PM
Great looking pup you got there :D Congrat's.

Benjamin Dahl
03-28-2009, 6:20 PM
very cute pup Bruce. have fun with her.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2009, 6:32 PM
Bruce....You are in love again! Nice looking dog!

Brian Kent
03-28-2009, 6:56 PM
My dog, Jasper says "Arf"!

Bruce Page
03-28-2009, 8:04 PM
Thanks
I took her out in the shop with me as I was running the DC & Woodmaster and it didn’t faze her a bit, in fact she went up and sniffed both machines as they were running. I think we’re going to get along fine!

She did pee next to my mill…:rolleyes: oh well, she'll learn.

Robert Parrish
03-28-2009, 8:10 PM
Congrats - It's the only true love that money can buy!!

Belinda Barfield
03-29-2009, 9:47 AM
She's a beauty Bruce! Sounds like it took her about five minutes to get acclimated to her new environment. Congrats on your new companion.

Bruce Page
03-29-2009, 12:30 PM
She's a beauty Bruce! Sounds like it took her about five minutes to get acclimated to her new environment. Congrats on your new companion.

Thanks Belinda, I'd say she acclimated just fine. :)

Don Abele
03-29-2009, 5:32 PM
Bruce, congratulations. Ella seems to be a fine addition to the family and definitely appears to be at ease already.

I've had dogs my whole life. In the past we've had several pure-breds bought from either breeders or puppy mills. Never again. Our current four-legged family members are both shelter rescues and I wouldn't trade either of them for anything. And when the unthinkable happens and one passes, we'll head right back to the shelters for another. We got our last one from a shelter in Savannah, GA (her mother was a gulf-coast abandon). We hired a transportation agency that specializes in transporting dogs and cats and had her shipped to Boston.

Again, congratulations and thank you for rescuing Ella and providing her with a loving family and home. I'm positive she will repay you in spades for your generosity.

Be well,

Doc

Dewey Torres
03-29-2009, 5:57 PM
Nice save... Ella has found a good home and seems to be a woodworking dog.

Doug Shepard
03-29-2009, 6:27 PM
Nice shop tool:D
Shelter dogs are the best.

Jim O'Dell
03-29-2009, 7:17 PM
Thanks
I took her out in the shop with me as I was running the DC & Woodmaster and it didn’t faze her a bit, in fact she went up and sniffed both machines as they were running. I think we’re going to get along fine!

She did pee next to my mill…:rolleyes: oh well, she'll learn.

And who said only male dogs mark their territory????? :D

She is a cutie! I wonder what she is supposed to be mixed with...Flat Coat Retriever maybe? Watch and see if the hair isn't a little different texture and maybe longer than a Lab would be. What ever the mix might be, she's definitely a keeper!!

Others looking to add a four legged creature to your families: many like the idea of rescuing an animal, but prefer to have a pure bred. Remember the specific breed rescue groups like the one my wife and I run for Irish Setters. We're most always home based set ups, so the dogs are living in our homes already, and we are able to have them up to speed on preventive medical, as well as major problems they might be dealing with. Most shelters can't afford to treat for heart worms, broken bones, skin diseases, etc. Small groups like ours run mostly on donations from those who have adopted from our program, and many of the adopters also serve as foster families. The money for the adoption fee rarely ever covers the expenses invested in each dog. Just another avenue for you to find the right dog for your family. Jim.

Chris Padilla
03-29-2009, 7:30 PM
I grew up with a black lab/irish setter mix. Do you know the mixed breed by chance? Our dog simply had wavy somewhat longish black hair.

The most deadly thing about her was the coffee-table clearing tail she had attached to her butt! :D

Don Abele
03-29-2009, 10:08 PM
...We're most always home based set ups, so the dogs are living in our homes already, and we are able to have them up to speed on preventive medical, as well as major problems they might be dealing with. Most shelters can't afford to treat for heart worms, broken bones, skin diseases, etc. Small groups like ours run mostly on donations from those who have adopted from our program, and many of the adopters also serve as foster families. The money for the adoption fee rarely ever covers the expenses invested in each dog...

Jim, we got Brownie from this very same type of set-up and I don't think I would ever look any where else. The fact that you take these helpless creatures into your homes and care and nuture them until they can be adopted speaks volumes of the people that do it. I commend you on your commitment in taking care of our four-legged friends.

...The most deadly thing about her was the coffee-table clearing tail she had attached to her butt...

Chris, I have two 85+ pound versions of these...and they do one heckofva job at keeping the coffee table clear!!!

Be well,

Doc

Bruce Page
03-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Jim, Chris, My wife thinks she might have some Hound in her because she seems to have really large ear fllaps compared to our previous labs. Her hair is very thick compared to our other labs also.
In any case, she is a keeper. She's already learning to do her business in the dog run area and has only had one small accident in the house.

Paul Downes
03-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Hey Bruce, I have one of those.(lad mix) I picked up Molly at a tractor show last summer. She's quite the character. She has made friends with all the cows next door and makes her rounds every day. She will go into the heifer pen and play tag with them. She stands there and lets them lick her??? She'll even take a nap with them in the barn. I was worried a bit at first that she might cause some trouble but the farmer gets a big kick out of her antics.

Rod Sheridan
04-01-2009, 8:29 AM
Bruce, looks like the start of a long rewarding relationship..........Regards, Rod.