PDA

View Full Version : Chessboard topcoat question

James Biddle
03-28-2009, 3:28 PM
Is Seal-A-Cell hard enough for chessboard topcoat? So far, I've got one coat of Watco and 4 coats of Seal-A-Cell. Once this coat dries, I'm going to sand it back a little and apply 2 more coats of Seal-A-Cell. I'm looking for a gloss finish and will buff it out once it's cured. I'm just trying to decide whether I need something harder or not.

Paul Ryan
03-28-2009, 5:11 PM
James,

I am by no means a finishing expert. I made one about a year ago. I put about 6 coats of a high gloss oil poly that turned out really nice. My dad has used the board once a week for the past year and it has held up great.

Pat Germain
03-28-2009, 5:21 PM
I quit using Seal-A-Cell after determining it's just Arm-R-Seal thinned down even more. I've had good results just starting with Arm-R-Seal and not bothering with Seal-A-Cell.

I think the Seal-A-Cell would be plenty hard enough. You would just have to apply more coats than if you were using Arm-R-Seal.

I used Arm-R-Seal on an under the window bookshelf I made for my daugher a few years ago. She really abuses that thing. She uses it for a makeup counter and storage area. The finish has held up wonderfully. Well, except in the spot where she left her curling iron sit for an hour. :rolleyes: