PDA

View Full Version : More free wood

John Fricke
03-28-2009, 1:53 PM
I just got done processing todays haul from my craigslist ad. I got 3 walnut crotches that were from 24" to 36". Hard to see in the pic's but this wood has greens, purples, yellows, and browns-I'm anxious to see it turned. Honey I really need that mustard!

Side note: I have a line on some mulberry and cottonwood the cottonwood is huge 36"-48" do they have nice grain?

Ray Binnicker
03-28-2009, 3:04 PM
You just ought to be ashamed of yourself !!!! You there, me here so far away, and you stuck with all that beautiful wood. (:-)
You could be my new best friend.......
Great haul, enjoy....

Ray Binnicker

Dewey Torres
03-28-2009, 3:24 PM
What to you type in to search for these and in what category?

John Fricke
03-28-2009, 3:34 PM
I actually placed an add titled "gnarly wood wanted". I can't seem to get around the CL rule of multiple same add postings so I alternate every few days between these sections: MATERIALS FOR SALE and ITEMS WANTED. I post in the 2 closest towns to me. I've had probably 8 email responses so far. I've collected on 2, a few were too far away, and still waiting for response on others. I am also checking out the FREE section, I have 2 good leads from there.

Here is the ad I use, I posted it here a few days ago.

I am a hobby wood turner looking for material to make bowls. Crotch pieces, burls, lower trunk sections, root balls are all desirable. Basically the more twisted and gnarly it is the better. Must be fairly solid though. Any hard wood species will work. Box Elder, cherry, walnut, oak, fruit trees, etc. I prefer stuff at least 15" in diameter. I have a saw with 24" bar so I can cut some pretty big pieces. If you look at it and think to yourself, " this is gonna be a real pain to split" I'm interested in it. Please email me.

Good luck...free wood is good wood.

Steve Schlumpf
03-28-2009, 4:25 PM
John - congrats on your wood haul - it's some very nice looking stuff! Your ad is working great for you! Don't know what you are turning on now but I hope it is large enough to take advantage of these chunks! Have fun with it!

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2009, 5:02 PM
Boy congrats on some great wood.

Jeff Nicol
03-28-2009, 8:41 PM
I have turned some cottonwood and it has the same characteristics of aspen. It turns nice and has figure and darker brown and gray brown streaks in it. The bark is nice too as it can be very thick and some people carve in the bark. So give it a try, if it is free you can't go wrong! I have a cottonwood in my back yard and it takes 3 grown men to reach around the thing!

Jeff

John Fricke
03-28-2009, 9:28 PM
thanks jeff..........just got an email on a couple of oak burls

Rich Souchek
03-28-2009, 10:40 PM
John,
Having lived in a place with NO walnut trees for 30 + years, this definitely is a "YOU SUCK" post. I am jealous.
The cottonwood tree is good for turning, just a little different when wet. I like it. The oak burl is real good too........
Rich S.

andrew zukewycz
03-29-2009, 3:01 AM
i have always looked on CL for free wood or cheap fire wood... i never thought to place an add looking for wood...

since i do buy and sell a bit on there... when i want to place multiple adds that are the same... i usually place a few rows of a letter or jumbled letters so the CL computer lets me post the same thing several times, as long as the title is slightly different and city too, your good...

great looking wood though.

happy turning...

zuke

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyy
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy---- get it now?:D

alex carey
03-29-2009, 3:11 AM
Love free wood, crotches are always great. Good haul.

charlie knighton
03-29-2009, 9:44 AM
good gloat, i like your ad, ok to copy it??????

John Fricke
03-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Copy and paste away.........Like I would ever know anyways:) I just went and counted....I have had 11 different contacts since i placed the ad.

Jarrod McGehee
03-29-2009, 3:18 PM
That's a nice haul and I'm so jealous. :mad: haha

Pete Jordan
03-29-2009, 3:37 PM
Keep it up John,

Fill the yard up and she will give in.