PDA

View Full Version : Messy glue-ups?

Jason White
03-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Any suggestions on protecting my workbench when doing messy glue-ups?

David Damiano
03-28-2009, 11:33 AM
What about brown Kraft paper. It comes in wide rolls and you could even mount it to the end of your workbench and just pull out what you need. Kinda like what the doctors use on their exam tables.

Stephen Edwards
03-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Any suggestions on protecting my workbench when doing messy glue-ups?

I use old newspapers, though I suppose that would make them history papers. They work well.

David DeCristoforo
03-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Well, the first question that comes to mind is "Are you sure you are not using too much glue?" I can see protecting your benches and used newspaper is what I use for that but you really shouldn't have more than a few drips.

Gary Breckenridge
03-28-2009, 1:02 PM
On smaller glue ups give wax paper a try.:cool:

Russ Boyd
03-28-2009, 1:21 PM
I thought a workbench was supposed to be messy. I just wipe it off with water when I'm done. Don't care if it stains or not. Must just be me.

Joe Cunningham
03-28-2009, 1:56 PM
I use a drop cloth I got at the BORG. Great for keeping little drips of glue and finish/paint off the bench.

Ralph Okonieski
03-28-2009, 2:05 PM
Similar to David's suggestion but slightly different. I have a roll of the brown "construction" grade paper that can be found at the BORG. I believe contractors use it a lot. It is pretty cheap for a roll.

Daniel Winsor
03-28-2009, 3:53 PM
Similar to David's suggestion but slightly different. I have a roll of the brown "construction" grade paper that can be found at the BORG. I believe contractors use it a lot. It is pretty cheap for a roll.

Ditto. I had some left over after painting the house. It works great for bench protection on glue ups. I tape one end down and roll out to cover the bench. Then tape and cut/tear the other end and you're all set.

Dan

Greg Hines, MD
03-28-2009, 4:04 PM
I have a piece of masonite on my benchtop that I use to keep such things off the top.

Doc

Bruce Page
03-28-2009, 4:16 PM
I bought a little vinyl covered table cloth from Hobby Lobby. It’s made to protect your table when the kids are finger painting etc. I’ve had it for several years and it seem quite durable and wipes clean with a damp cloth.

Cody Colston
03-28-2009, 4:17 PM
I don't do glue-ups on my bench but I still use one of those brown paper rolls noted above. I have mine attached to the end of the assembly table and just pull it over the table during glue-ups and finishing. When it gets well used, I cut it off and pull out another length.

Richard M. Wolfe
03-28-2009, 6:06 PM
Where most of the glue-ups are done the assembly table has a formica top. Glue generally pops off with a scrape with a putty knife. I also use wax paper some as the glue doesn't stick to it and it can be reused, but since the glue-ups almost always involve clamping, it always seems that I get the paper caught between pieces when I clamp them. :mad: