PDA

View Full Version : difference in 230 and 115 volt, and 1/2hp

Paul Rains
03-28-2009, 10:23 AM
How much difference will this make on the Jet 1642 2hp vs 1.5hp, and what is difference in 3 phase and 1phase motor, 230 and 115??? Is is worth the extra cash?

David Walser
03-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Paul,

A 2hp motor is a 33.33% increase in power over a 1.5hp motor. A 1.5hp motor is about the minimum you'd want for a "full size" lathe. If someone told you a given engine and tranny combo for your pickup was the minimum you'd need to tow your boat, would you wonder whether a 1/3 increase in horsepower would make a difference?

Which brings us to cost and whether the increase is worth it. Only you can make that call. You posted a question about turning a 20" bowl in the Jet. The Jet can do that -- with either motor. You'd just need to take lighter cuts -- much lighter cuts -- with the 1.5hp motor than with the 2hp motor. Going back to the pickup analogy, if you only tow your boat once every other year or so, having to slow down to 35mph to make it over the mountains may not be that big a deal. You might prefer the higher gas mileage you'd get driving with the smaller engine over the extra towing capacity the larger engine gave you. If you're mostly turning large items, the extra horsepower would be nice.

In other words YMMV.

Dick Sowa
03-28-2009, 6:13 PM
I would get the 2 HP. If you have 230 available, it is probably single phase, not three phase. Virtually all homes are served by 110/220V single phase service. I think the Jet is the same as my 3520b...the 2 HP unit comes pre-wired with a 230V (or 220/240), single phase, motor.

Jeff Nicol
03-28-2009, 8:08 PM
Paul, When the lathe says that it comes with a 2hp 3 phase motor, it also comes with a VFD ( Variable Frequency Drive ) to convert the 220/230v single phase to 3phase. It is not cost effective to have 3 phase power in your home. The only reason would be if you had a large shop with lots of large tools that required 3phase power. A little power is lost using a Vfd or a phase converter but not enough to make a difference to the hobbist or to a small business. So as long as you have a 220v circuit that you can use buy a 2hp lathe, you will be happier in the end.

Jeff

alex carey
03-29-2009, 3:36 AM
This is the analogy I heard for Single phase and 3 phase. It is the same power but three times as often. Image a tether ball court, a ball connected by rope to pole. 1 phase is one person hitting the ball, three phase is three people hitting the ball. So basically the power is more continuous....

I think, can anyone confirm that?

Mike Lipke
03-29-2009, 8:32 AM
I have the Jet with the 1 1/2 hp.
I've never felt the need for more power, but then again, I've never turned with that same lathe with the 2hp either. Turning big stuff, you should be in low range, and that goes from about 30 to 1500 rpm.
I have been lazy and started to turn a bigger piece at about 500 rpm in the high range, and it did not work well. I changed to low, and at the same 500 rpm speed, it was a breeze.
I would bet that even if I had a 2hp, I would find it better in low. Sort of like pulling that boat up a big hill with a V8 or a V6. Downshifting is better on either.
Also, running that motor at low speeds in high gear probably is not a great idea anyway, as the fan on either will not pump enough air, and it will run a lot hotter.
There must be someone on this forum who has turned on both, but all I can tell you is the 1 1/2 hp has been fantastic.

Mike Lipke
03-29-2009, 9:22 AM
Paul,
If you are considering this machine, I suggest you post a new thread with a title that this question right in the title, like:
"Jet 1642, buy the 1 1/2 hp or the 2 hp?"
You will get better, more specific answers from owners of both models of that lathe. Maybe some from folks who have turned on each.

Reed Gray
03-29-2009, 12:51 PM
When I first set up my shop, I read everything I could about machines. My previous experience was in construction. About motors, one there was one common thread. Motors 1 hp and under were fine on 110. Motors 1 hp and above should be run on 220. With the 1 1/2 hp Jet, you will need a dedicated 20 amp circuit. It will do okay, but there will be a significant performance improvement with the 2 hp 220 volt motor. As a former concrete worker, I prefer to have things over built rather than under built.
robo hippy