PDA

View Full Version : amateur wood worker

John Teichman
03-28-2009, 7:35 AM
Hi all i am a new guy here i am thinking of buying a combo saw and was wondering if there is any feed back on laguna saws and equip. they seam to have good price plus free shipping for now. i have watched for good used but not much out there??

Frank Trinkle
03-28-2009, 7:42 AM
I think you'll find that many here will tell you that while Laguna products are excellent, you pay for that by having to deal with TERRIBLE customer service/support.

Many have opted NOT to buy Laguna out of fear that they won't get any decent support from the company if something should go wrong, or even if you have questions.

In my own case, I was ready to pull the trigger on their 16" Bandsaw, but having read countless posts here and elsewhere regarding their support, I ended up with a Grizzly G0514X2, knowing that if I called Grizzly, I would actually be able to talk to someone in minutes... not weeks... and I have!

Just my $.02

Mike Wilkins
03-28-2009, 8:11 AM
I cannot comment on their combo machines, but have had a Laguna bandsaw, model LT18 since 2001 without any problems. I just took delivery of their Laguna Pro 1600 sliding tablesaw and love it. One problem with alignment of the rip fence rail; but it was a manufacturers' problem, not with the Laguna folks. I too have read the posts in this and other forums. But it seems that Laguna has heard the cry and has improved their service and feedback times. When I had additional questions about the saw, they were patient and answered them all. I even got emails later answering other questions. Earlier this week the son of the owner called to inquire if I would be willing to talk to a potential customer about my slider, which I had no problems with. Along this same point; there have been concerns with other manufacturers' machines posted here and other places. Be mindful to take complaints posted here and other places with a grain of salt. A large one.
I have no connection with Laguna other than a satisfied customer.

Dan Friedrichs
03-28-2009, 10:40 AM
I bought a used Laguna bandsaw, and had to call Laguna for some trouble I was having with the contactor on it. It took them about 2 weeks to call me back, then the person I spoke with could only suggest replacing the contactor with a toggle switch (not really helpful advice...).

The saw is top-quality, though. And I suppose if you could risk having to wait a few weeks for support (if you ever needed it), it'd be great.

Watch out for their accessories, though - they're way overpriced...

Steve Rozmiarek
03-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Welcome John, I think you will find some usefull info here. There have been a few threads on this subject, which you could find with the search feature if you want. They may be outdated though. I think that the most common combo here is Minimax, which gets great reviews. I have a Felder combo, which is phenominal, and you've already met a few of the Laguna guys.

Which Laguna machine are you interested in?

John Teichman
03-28-2009, 5:35 PM
the two models i was looking at are x31 and xtz 30 and mainly the platinum series 5 function machine seem like alot for around 5000. ??