PDA

View Full Version : RC Aircraft Plans

william kennington
03-28-2009, 7:02 AM
Hello Creekers,

Anyone out there building RC aircraft with the laser? Looking for plans
to try my hand on the laser with them. Thanks in advance.

Pinnacle 30 watt, Corel Draw, Photograv

Martin Boekers
03-28-2009, 8:12 AM
You might try checking magazines that deal with RC Aircraft or a local hobby shop.

In my "younger days" I used to get planes from magazine for balsa rubberband airplanes.

Another spot is I'm sure that modelers have a forum out there somewhere and you probably could get plans from one of them.

That might open up some business opportunities!

Marty

Dave West
03-28-2009, 6:54 PM
Check out rcgroups.com. Lots of info.

Dave

seaver dave
03-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Great thread that I hope will continue. I have attached a zip file of an RC plan. I believe it's in a jpeg format--haven't had time to convert it to Corel and trace it.

Dave Seaver

seaver dave
03-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Here is another file that I imported into corel.

Dave Seaver

Carel F Kriel
03-29-2009, 8:19 AM
Hi William

I bought a laser for my hobby viz. radio control aircraft to cut my own planes and parts of planes. I also do a little bit for other people who wants to do scratch builds. To get plans is not a problem they are available on the internet - the problem is tracing them to be used in coreldraw. To make money out of it - I don't know- especially if you have to convert to format for the laser machine. When I do cut for other people I charge them per piece cut plus replacing the material I used. If you are a scratch builder and have plans then the laser is a wonderful tool.

Anthony Scira
03-29-2009, 11:29 AM
This is the program I use to make all my ribs and bulkheads.

This is the best program out there that I know of.

But more and more people are going to foam kits and the balsa planes are going the way of the dinosaur.

http://www.compufoil.com/index.shtml (duh forgot the link)

Michael Hunter
03-29-2009, 2:29 PM
I thought that I could make a bit of cash cutting balsa for airplane people. In four years I have had two enquiries from my advert at the local model shop.

No 1 fancied making kits to sell. He supplied all the drawings and I cut his parts for the prototype, which was apparently a successful flier. After that, the model shop started to import a similar 'plane - ready built (from Korea) - and sold them at less than the cost of the balsa! No more kit project.

No 2 recently enquired about having a great load of ribs cut. There were a LOT with many different sizes. I quoted £50 (~$80) for scanning the drawings, laying out in Corel and all the cutting. Have not heard anything back - presumably he wanted them done for free.

I recently needed to cut some foam (for packaging - not modelling) and thought that the model shop might supply a hot-wire cutter for the job. No chance - not available any more as everyone buys ready-made 'planes.

I think it a huge shame that so few people are even slightly creative these days. The Creek is an oasis in an ever enlarging desert.

Steven Wallace
03-30-2009, 11:28 AM
You hit the nail on the head. There are fewer and fewer people no a days that can make something from scratch and even fewer willing to try. I amaze my kids on how I can think out of the box, all they want is what comes out of a box. Creekers, no matter the forum, for the most part are some of the most creative people and I thoroughly enjoy reading of their projects or how they have improved others. That's one of the things that happens when you take industrial arts out of the education system.

Dave Johnson29
03-30-2009, 1:43 PM
I thought that I could make a bit of cash cutting balsa for airplane people. In four years I have had two enquiries from my advert at the local model shop.

Hi Michael,

Have to agree here. A new Hobby shop opened up here 6 months back and I asked about cutting balsa and the guy said, "I have no idea where you will get balsa, we only sell foam kits."

He added, " I have not seen a balsa plane for about 2 years.

Ahhh, progress. :rolleyes:

Nick Napier
04-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Hello, I fly rc airplanes and have cut out parts for planes. Quite a few ARF's (almost ready to fly) are an already built up balsa wings and bodys. It's nice to be able cut out parts to fix crashes. Course that's for the other guys. There's still a lot of Balsa used.

Nick Napier