PDA

View Full Version : Urethane Bandsaw Tires

Daniel Winsor
03-27-2009, 8:29 PM
Greetings,

I have a Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw and it still has the stock tires on it. I was wondering if Urethane tires are worth the expensive price. What advantages does the urethane give that the stock tires don't? Will I actually notice a difference?

Dan

Jules Dominguez
03-27-2009, 9:02 PM
There's no difference in the performance of the bandsaw. They might last longer than rubber, but rubber will last a long time. I wouldn't change tires unless there's something wrong with the ones on the saw.

Pat Germain
03-27-2009, 9:05 PM
Based on anectodal evidence, it seems the urethane tires are of good quality. With rubber tires, they may or may not be good quality. Of course, lousy bandsaw tires will be out of round and lead to problems. You can true them up, but that's more effort.

I agree with Jules. When your current tires are thrashed, go ahead and upgrade to urethane. Until then, why bother? That is, unless your existing tires are giving you grief.

Rick Fisher
03-27-2009, 9:06 PM
I put a set on my saw.. every once in a while, they slip, half off.
I can tell because the blade moves.

Myk Rian
03-27-2009, 9:20 PM
Before I sold my C-man 12" tilt head I put urethanes on it. The rubber ones couldn't keep the blade tracking. The new tires made a world of difference.
If you do put new tires on, soak them for 15 minutes in 140 ºF water first. Using a thin putty knife makes it easy to put them on.

Daniel Winsor
03-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm going to hold off for now. I'm saving for a planer anyways. I get good enough cuts from my Bandsaw that a planer would solve any issued I had. The blade tracks nicely on the BS.

Dan