PDA

View Full Version : Removing blade

Stan Johnsey
03-27-2009, 6:45 PM
What is the proper way to hold the arbor stationary while removing the nut that holds on the blade. The saw is a Powermatic 66. The arbor does seem to have any flats on the drive belt side. I jammed a piece of soft pine against the blade but I'm guessing there is a better way.

Help a noob out.

Dale Lesak
03-27-2009, 6:50 PM
I'll bet 95% use a block of wood. only don't pry on the side of the blade. place it in front so the teeth catch on the wood. they also make some blade holders that you can use to hold and store the blade.

Dewey Torres
03-27-2009, 6:53 PM
There are other products and someone will chime in and tell you how to make one (or do it another way) but you can run down to Lowes and get this and be done with it:

http://www.benchdog.com/bladeloc.cfm

Dewey Torres
03-27-2009, 6:57 PM
Here is another:
http://www.mobilesolutions-usa.com/smartparts/sawbladechangetool.htm

glenn bradley
03-27-2009, 7:07 PM
I guess I never knew the PM66 didn't use two wrenches. Well, now that I've learned something, I can go home.

The plastic products shown will do fine. For my old contractor saw that used only one wrench I took a section of 2 x 4, stop-dado'd a 1/4" slot on the 2" length about 1-1/2" deep. I put that over the blade and apply pressure to hold the blade still like the Bench Dog item . . . cheaper but not orange.

Jim O'Dell
03-27-2009, 7:24 PM
I use the Bench Dog thing Dewey linked to. Actually got it at Lowe's too. :) It works. It's cheap. It's my kind of tool! :D Jim.

Jeff Willard
03-27-2009, 7:31 PM
I use a piece of scrap oak, and when I'm done it rests on the motor cover. It's cheaper, and it works.;)

Stan Johnsey
03-27-2009, 7:37 PM
How much is that Bench Dog thingy? I might make me somethin' similar out of a piece of scrap 2x4 by raising the blade into it to make a slot.

Jamie Buxton
03-27-2009, 8:05 PM
I grab the blade with my hand.

Myk Rian
03-27-2009, 8:11 PM
I grab the blade with my hand.
I have my Wife hold the blade. :D
I like the item Dewey referred to. It would also protect the blade teeth when you take it out or put it in.

Bill Huber
03-27-2009, 8:16 PM
I use and love the Saw Jaw, it is so nice to hold the blade, pull it out and hand it on a peg and never worry about hitting a tooth or cutting yourself with a tooth.

Right now Rockler has them on sale for $10. You go out and pay $75 to who knows what for a blade and $10 is little to pay to protect it IMO.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11440&filter=saw%20jaw

scott spencer
03-27-2009, 8:26 PM
scrap wood here....

Stan Johnsey
03-27-2009, 8:31 PM
The teeth on this blade a very sharp. My wife wondered where all the blood drops came from on the kitchen floor. Then she says, "Do you need a Bandaid?" BWAHAHA!!!

Bruce Wrenn
03-27-2009, 8:34 PM
I use the Bench Dog thingie also. I bought several from Lowes a couple years ago. They were on clearance for $2.00 when I bought mine.

Steve Mellott
03-27-2009, 9:04 PM
I actually do use my hand (while wearing a leather glove) to hold the blade. Its a tip I learned on this web site several years ago. It works great - much better than trying to hold the blade with a piece of wood. You can use the same process to tighten the arbor nut.

Steve

Phil Harding
03-28-2009, 7:37 AM
I use and love the Saw Jaw, it is so nice to hold the blade, pull it out and hand it on a peg and never worry about hitting a tooth or cutting yourself with a tooth.

Right now Rockler has them on sale for $10. You go out and pay $75 to who knows what for a blade and $10 is little to pay to protect it IMO.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11440&filter=saw%20jaw

I absolutely agree with Bill on the SawJaw. I have one for each of my blades. They are a great way to store, protect, and handle a 10" blade. Rockler had them on sale a few weeks ago for about $6.

-- Phil

Gary Lange
03-28-2009, 8:52 AM
I use two wrenches on my Grizzly 1023SL and it works just fine. Seems like a very safe way to do it and keeps me from braking something or cutting myself on the blade.

Stan Johnsey
03-28-2009, 9:03 AM
Unfortunately, the Powermatic doesn't have a place to use the second wrench.