PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1642 - Realistic Pontential

Paul Rains
03-27-2009, 5:23 PM
How hard and complicated is it to turn a rough green wood of say "20 in diameter for out board turning??? I just got off phone with a turner who said that was a much bigger deal than advertised, he said because it is out of round, that lathe would likely walk accross room? I realize you would have to pay about $300 for stand alone tool rest. What other issues or concerns are that that I may not be aware of? Will 1 1/2hp be enough to outboard turn 20" bowl?

Paul Rains
03-27-2009, 6:53 PM
after thought - how much more difficult is it to turn 20" bowl outboard on a Jet 1642 then on a powermatic, grizz, vega style 20" inch lathe?

Dick Sowa
03-27-2009, 7:04 PM
My first thought is that you absolutely will need support at both the headstock and tailstock. A blank that big probably weighs a lot...many hundreds of pounds at least. Trying to turn it with support from only the headstock will probably put unreasonable stress on the bearings, and who knows what else. But just lifting it to mount it on your lathe will be tough.

Here's a video of Nick Cook turning something a wee bit bigger than that. He talks about how he managed it. http://vidego.multicastmedia.com/player.php?v=90mr6ofj

Ryan Baker
03-27-2009, 7:08 PM
You will, of course, be turning off the tail end of the lathe with a floor-stand tool rest, so you can't use the tail stock for support like you could on the PM. You are going to want to load it up with cement bags or something to make it less likely to wander. It depends a lot on the actual blank in question. It should work ok if it isn't hanging too far out. You said 20" diameter, but not how long or the weight.

Paul Rains
03-27-2009, 7:40 PM
I am thinking about blank maybe little less than 20 by 12? Make a decent large bowl?

Paul Rains
03-27-2009, 7:44 PM
Dick, I don't think I will be turnig anything that big:eek::) Neat video though

Gary Max
03-27-2009, 8:31 PM
You really need to take a look at what a blank 20 X 12 weighs in at.
That is one big blank.
If you ever get down this way stop in and I will show you what I am talking about.

alex carey
03-27-2009, 8:39 PM
I don't think it too insane to turn that big. I turned some dry stock that started out around 30" but it only stuck out about 9". I got it as round as I could with my chainsaw. I had the mustard which is a bit heftier. I think it is definitely doable with the 1642 but you are definitely stretching it and it shouldn't be done a lot. It is also a safety hazard and should be done carefully.

I think 1 1/2 should be enough.

I would find out the weight of the piece. The 30 by 9 was around 80 pounds. I wouldn't go much bigger than that if using the 1642.

Paul Rains
03-27-2009, 8:54 PM
You live down there around Greg Kirkland? I have been there

Gary Max
03-27-2009, 9:14 PM
Yup----he's about 10 miles from me.

Paul Rains
03-27-2009, 9:20 PM
email me directions and phone and I will stop by, I think I am coming down to see Greg sometime between April 6 - 11.

prains@lexingtonchristian.org

Jim Kountz
03-27-2009, 9:52 PM
Paul, Ive done some max diameter by about 9" on my 1642 though I did have tailstock support. I had no troubles at all with the power or anything else really, just started out real slow. I know a 20" blank would of course weigh more but I think if you took it slow and was careful the lathe should handle it. Put some sand bags on it for weight and you should be fine.

Dennis Ford
03-28-2009, 12:33 PM
If you are considering buying the Jet 1642 with the intention of turning bowls 20" diameter, don't. However, if you are buying the lathe thinking that you might someday turn one or two bowls up to 20" diameter, its a great lathe and can probably handle the job.

Paul Rains
03-28-2009, 1:18 PM
I found a thread on AAW that spoke about actual use of 20 inch lathe compared to 16, I am going with 1642 2HP, thanks for replys

Allen Neighbors
03-28-2009, 6:49 PM
I turn 16" to 23.5" bowls outboard on my OW1640. I always use the tailstock, due to the weight of the wood, and the fact that most of them are out of balance. My lathe is bolted down to the wooden floor of my shop. If you don't have the possiblity of using the tailstock, it might be pretty difficult to get them balanced enough to turn without it. I don't know this... I'm just guessing... but you would really need to be careful. Give it a try. You can always quit if things get too out of hand, and if you succeed, won't that be a hoot? :D
I have a rope block & tackle above my headstock that I use for lifting the large chunks.

Chris Rolke
03-28-2009, 7:38 PM
here is my 1642 turning a large platter (28")

http://rolke.dyndns.org/ftp/woodbowls/large%20pine/DSC09708%20(Medium).JPG

http://rolke.dyndns.org/ftp/woodbowls/large%20pine/DSC09715%20(Medium).JPG

http://rolke.dyndns.org/ftp/woodbowls/large%20pine/DSC09712%20(Medium).JPG

http://rolke.dyndns.org/ftp/woodbowls/large%20pine/DSC09711%20(Medium).JPG

the outboard stand it based off of the one that was in the woodturning design magazine one from a few years ago

i think i only got up to 350 rpm and that was sanding

it was an interesting project to say the least

the bowl was made from 5 laminated 2x4's

i have a large 20" wall hanging using the same setup

it you have questions about my setup let me know
finished

http://rolke.dyndns.org/ftp/woodbowls/large%20pine/DSC09744small.jpg

Tom Keen
03-28-2009, 9:21 PM
Ive turned oak and osage orange, green, on my 1642, inboard with about 1/4 of an inch clearance.. blanks weighed at least 60 pounds.. no problem. Ive got 400 pounds of sand on the leg bench. Make sure your work is as round/balanced as you can get it, use a big face plate with alot of screws.. go slow when you start out.. support the piece with the tailstock when possible. And most of all stay of of the line of fire!

Generally, Ive found that there is an inverse relationship between size of the bowl/blank and fun.. the bigger they are the less fun the turning. :)

Have fun