PDA

View Full Version : Gloat and a few ?

Robert Flowers
03-27-2009, 4:53 PM
Lowes has a DELTA 10" left Tilt Contractor's Saw model 36-979 on clearance for $339
The guy in tools said the computer showed 1 but they can't find it. So i asked the manger if i could find it how much would he take he said $175.00 so i walked around for about 10 minutes asked a buddy how can you loose a table saw? Turned the corner and looked up right above the 1x4's on the end of the asile there was my new tablesaw :D

Just A few questins now
#1. It has a 1 1/2hp motor wired for 120 but can be switched to 240. Would it be worth it to go to 240?
#2 I have wired houses before so how hard is it to switch the motor over from 120 to 240 ? Is it something a semi-pro could do?
#3 Any tips on setting up the saw?
#4 I want to make a mobile base for the saw because my shop is only 12x16 any designs you guys thank is the best?

Thanks
Robert

Russ Boyd
03-27-2009, 4:59 PM
Nice score Robert. My experience with 110-220 is that it will have a diagram showing what to do. My air compressor was a piece of cake when I did it. You should have no problems. You could also find a schematic on the web I'm sure. Russ

Russ Sears
03-27-2009, 6:44 PM
I haven't converted mine to 220 but the instructions look pretty simple. Mine has casters so yours might be mobile out of the box.
Which fence did you get?

Charles Lent
03-27-2009, 7:30 PM
If you switch that saw to 220 volts, make sure you change the plug to a 220 volt configuration and use a 220 volt outlet. If you don't change the plug and just use a 110 volt outlet for it but wire 220 volts to it, someday you will burn up a 110 volt tool that you pluged into this wrong outlet. It's dangerous, so do it the safe way.

Charley

Dan Friedrichs
03-27-2009, 8:59 PM
That's definitely gloat-worthy! Great price on a very good saw. Did you get a fence with it, also? Maybe you could go find a Delta T2 fence hiding somewhere else in that Lowe's :)

As to your questions:
-Switching to 240V will benefit you if you don't have an existing 120V outlet that has a short run of thick wire back to your breaker box. If you happen to have a 120V outlet that's 50' from your breaker box and run using 12ga wire, don't bother switching to 240V. The motor "sees" the same voltage either way (because you have to re-wire it if you switch), thus the only advantage is less I^2*R voltage drop in your wiring.

-Switching to 240V is very easy - just open the little black junction box on the outside of the motor, and there's a little sticker on the inside with directions that shows which wire(s) to hook where.

-Setting the saw up is not difficult, either - just go slowly and do a good job. If you find the arbor to be unacceptably non-parallel to the miter slots in the table, you'll have to adjust the trunions which are bolted to the bottom of the table. There are some good tutorials on the internet on how to do this, but hopefully you won't need to. Expect to spend a good half-day or so assembling it - there are a lot of parts and not very clear directions and not very well labeled bolts/nuts/etc...

-You don't need a mobile base - it has built-in casters :) It also has a little pedal you step on to raise it up on the casters, then you flip the pedal up and it sits back down on all 4 feet. Nice feature for a contractor's saw to have...

Robert Flowers
03-27-2009, 9:32 PM
Fence :confused: you mean the fence that comes with a tablesaw,OH you mean the fence that does not come with this tablesaw.
Yes i am the creek IDIOT!
It never cross my mind it don't have a fence, well another trip to lowes hopefuly i can find one.

the creek idiot
Robert

Tom Slupek
03-27-2009, 10:14 PM
I have the same saw and the mobile base is already built into the leg stand. From what ia have heard on the boards Lowes has the Delta T2 fence on clearance also.

Charles McClain
03-28-2009, 7:26 AM
If you switch that saw to 220 volts, make sure you change the plug to a 220 volt configuration and use a 220 volt outlet. If you don't change the plug and just use a 110 volt outlet for it but wire 220 volts to it, someday you will burn up a 110 volt tool that you pluged into this wrong outlet. It's dangerous, so do it the safe way.

Charley

Had this happen to me when I was installing shipping systems. Total damage two thermal printers, one dot matrix printer, one electronic scale, one cpu, one monitor, one power strip and one pair of underwear.

I was holding the power strip when I flipped the switch, there was a loud pop, flames/sparks shot out of the strip and everything else just smoked. I really can't recomend the experience.

Charles

Dan Friedrichs
03-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Robert,

You still got a screamin' deal without the fence! The Delta T2 fence is what usually goes with this saw - see if you can find it at Lowe's, otherwise, they can be had for pretty cheap anywhere else.

Robert Flowers
03-28-2009, 8:21 PM
Thanks for all the replys,
Went to lowes they did not have a T2 fence but they did have a old fence on top of the rack it had be up there a long time it had dust an inch thick its a Delta 36-648 fence and rails for a Delta 36-650 10" Professional saw, it has all the parts but no manual. got it for $50.00
Check the bolt hole on the front rail they line up so i thank i can use it without too much work.

Finshed putting the stand togather boy that was a pain still want to build a base with storage for it just can't decide on a design.

Robert