PDA

View Full Version : Help! Grizzly G0490

Trace Beard
03-27-2009, 11:53 AM
I installed a byrd cutter head about a month ago and am just now getting around to setting the table heights. The in-feed table moves freely but the out-feed table is hitting the right hand bearing block, it looks like it's just touching it, maybe a 1/64th or less.

What would be the best way to adjust the bearing block? A machine shop installed the bearings, bearing blocks and pulley. I just can't think of a tool or jig to pull the bearing block toward the pulley w/o removing the pully. Everything bolted together as normal so I don't think I'm not off by much.

I guess the obvious answer would be to remove the pulley and use a gear puller to adjust the bearing block but when I reinstall the pulley, would that move the bearing block? Would I need to get a new key?

Thanks,

Trace

James Adinaro
03-28-2009, 10:06 AM
I did the same jointer/cutterhead swap a couple months ago. I didn't have any issues. I've read and re-read your description, but it's not ringing any bells.

I had a friend in an auto body shop do the bearing installation and pulley swap over. They pressed the non-pulley side all the way on, but left me to set the pulley myself if I remember right.

Do you have a pic? I'll also run out to the shop and check mine out and see if that jogs my memory.

Frank Trinkle
03-28-2009, 10:13 AM
I have thought about the spirals for my G0490.

Could you guys tell me how much difference it made for your jointing? Trying to justify the cost/value

Trace Beard
03-28-2009, 11:44 AM
I should be able to use a gear puller and pull the bearing block just a hair and reinstall.

I assumed that both bearing would be seated all the way but maybe the one on the front side wasn't, I don't know. I'll check everything as best I can.

Frank,
As soon as I know something I'll post a reply, you may want to search SMC their are tons of reviews of the byrd.

paul dyar
03-28-2009, 6:20 PM
Find out if both bearings are fixed, or if one is a floater.
paul

Kevin Downs
03-28-2009, 7:39 PM
Your post rang my bell! I just replaced the blades in my G0490 last week and thought I needed to adjust my outfeed table and couldn't. Then I read it is factory set and I would need to follow a different procedure.

Check out the 'factory' note below then check out page 38 in the G0490 manual for the proper procedure to adjust the outfeed table.

http://www.grizzly.com/images/manuals/g0490_m.pdf

Trace Beard
03-29-2009, 7:26 PM
I was able to use a bearing puller and move the RH bearing block just a hair and everything lined up and worked properly.

Kevin, I had loosened the stops at the beginning of the project so I could put the tables down so I could get the cutter head in and out, now I need to reset everything.

Thanks for everyones help.

Trace