PDA

View Full Version : Mahogany & Tiger Maple Head & Footboards

Greg Cole
03-27-2009, 9:16 AM
As advertised, mahogany & tiger maple head and foot board. This project was started long ago & was supposed to have been done by Thanksgiving... hunting season(s) & life seemed to slow my progress to a crawl or stand still. But I promised my wife I'd be done with it before turkey hunting season starts April 20th & I blew that deadline out of the water.;)
I designed these as stand alones (no rails to connect them). I initially had planned on making a traditional slat mattress support style full on bed, but ran short on thick enough mahogany for the side rails. So I flipped a coin and decided to make each a stand alone piece. The footboard serves as a small bench-foot stool, dressing bench kida thing.
All surfaces are prepped with hand tools, same with bevels and raised panels in the headboard. Some of the curly maple gave my LN #4 fits with some tearout, and the newer addition to the arsenal in the LV LA Jack with 50* blade performed wonderfully.
The finish is clear shellac on the maple, garnet shellac on the mahogany & all topcoated with laquer.
I will post pics of the bed installed when I get it "installed" (set in position) tonight. The bed is for the spare room & this is the last piece for that room. I've done all the trim, chair rail, flooring etc in this room & it's now the nicest room in the house for all of about 3-5 guest stays a year.:confused: Ah well.
Comments & constructive criticism welcomed.

Doug Shepard
03-27-2009, 9:46 AM
That came out great. Seems a shame to cover up all that pretty wood with matresses and bedding though.:D

Jared Larrow
03-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Nice job Greg, great use of contrasting woods!

J

Greg Cole
03-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Doug,
The headboard is 50 something inches tall, so much of the purty parts are readily visible... even with the "foofy" pillows the wife has to have on the bed.
Jared,
Thanks. The Vermonter in me makes me partial to maple. I'm originally from Essex Jct & graduated from UVM.. the small world at times.

Jarrod McGehee
03-27-2009, 12:07 PM
What seems a shame is that you have an awesome guest bedroom. I hope yours is way nicer

GERALD HARGROVE
03-27-2009, 12:29 PM
So, how long until your wife either moves that bed to the master, or you start on another for the master? Looks great.

JOHN BRODERICK
03-27-2009, 1:54 PM
That is some nice job.
Admire the work and sleep on the floor.:D

Jim Kountz
03-27-2009, 2:20 PM
Nice job and wonderful woods used!! Id like to see a photo when its all setup and in place. Excellent job!!

Jacob Mac
03-27-2009, 4:37 PM
I really like it. Beautiful work. Where did you get the mahagony? I have been trying to source some and haven't had much luck.

Greg Cole
03-27-2009, 4:55 PM
Gerald,
I had planned to make a set for our bedroom first, but the best laid plans sort of thing.
Jacob,
I got the mahogany from wood dot net classifieds over a year and a half ago now. $3 a BF for 8/4 stock was impossible to pass on.;)

Thanks for the kind words all.

Jerry Balzell
03-28-2009, 5:41 AM
Very nice. I think using contrasting wood is always a nice look.
Thanks for sharing.:)

John Keeton
03-28-2009, 6:40 AM
Greg, curly maple combined with walnut has always been my favorite - but this may be a close second!! The mahogany really contrasts well. Congrats on all the handwork - nice design, and obviously a lot of work put into this one.

I agree with the others about the master vs. the guest room. It is always good to be hospitable, but you have gone the extra mile!

John Thompson
03-28-2009, 3:11 PM
Excellent... I can' imagine how you will top it when you get to the master bedroom.

Sarge..

Bruce Page
03-28-2009, 3:16 PM
Greg, that is beautiful. I agree with Doug, it’s a shame that some of it will get covered up with the bedding.

Brian Peters
03-28-2009, 6:49 PM
Beautiful work!!

Greg Cole
04-04-2009, 8:34 AM
Just getting around to posting pics of the bed installed, or set in position since it's free standing. The stilted cabinet you see in one of the pics is another piece I made 4 or so years ago now.
And no, the dog isn't posessed... just a little bleary eyed from the flash.:rolleyes:

Greg Cole
04-04-2009, 8:38 AM
Ok, here are the pics. I had a misfire the first attempt.:confused:

Robert LaPlaca
04-04-2009, 8:19 PM
Hey I am with John, I would have never though to combine Tiger Maple with Mahogany, but the contrast is nice. Thanks for sharing..

Jim Becker
04-04-2009, 9:08 PM
Beautiful stuff!