PDA

View Full Version : Which laminate trimmer is your fave?

Rich Rice
03-27-2009, 8:38 AM
I use a couple of cheapies from Harbor Freight, and have had problems with flexing, with depth adjustments, and with the 2 wrench bit changes. Seems like there are better ones out there, but which has the best ease of use? I'm mostly concerned with micro depth adjustments (that stay where they should), stability of the unit, vibration, power, and single wrench bit changes.

I build mostly solidbody guitars, and the laminate trimmer is used constantly to do roundover radius edges, pickup and electronics cavities, etc. I want to buy a real good tool, something that will last for years.

Any opnions welcomed, and thanks in advance... ;)

Rich Rice
www.ricecustomguitars.com

Frank Trinkle
03-27-2009, 8:48 AM
I have two.

My "I don't care if it breaks" model that I use for simple, non-critical work is a Ryobi. Despite the fact that it's cheap, it functions perfectly and I have been very pleased with it.

My "high-end" trimmer that I am somewhat more picky about using is my Bosch PR20EVSNK that includes 4 bases and an edge guide. About $175 at Amazon with all accessories and hard case. It is AWESOME for a 1HP trimmer, and I couldn't be happier.

Here's the description of the trimmer from the MFR:

From the Manufacturer
With its compact size and spirited performance, the 1-horsepower Colt variable-speed palm-grip router kit from Bosch is a very versatile tool. It's not just a laminate trimmer, but is ideal for trimming deck planks, hinge mortising, edge forming, slot cutting, dovetailing, window cutouts and decorative inlays. The PR20EVSNK variable-speed palm-grip router kit has a palm-grip design with soft grip to make it the most comfortable router in its class, yet it also has enough power to do the job and is more comfortable and easy to use than larger routers. The softstart reduces start-up torque while the Bosch constant response circuitry monitors and maintains speed under load for consistent performance and overload protection. Easily move the motor from base to base with the quick-clamp system to work on other areas of your project. A convenient front spindle lock on the motor was designed for easy, one-wrench bit changes. Bosch even covered the small details by angling the cord to help keep it out of the way. The contents of this kit make it ideal for all router users.

Hope this helped...:)

Steve Rozmiarek
03-27-2009, 8:54 AM
+1 on the Colt

Rich Rice
03-27-2009, 9:07 AM
Thanks for the replies so far! How is the depth setting on the Colt? Is it easy to set, and then stable? Also, can you get a good look at where you are cutting? What is the baseplate material?

Prashun Patel
03-27-2009, 9:18 AM
The Bosch Colt is almost universally regarded as the best in class. There are cheaper, satisfactory tools, but if yr reaching for it all the time it'd be worth it for you.

Another thing people (incl me) do is buy a couple cheapies (I like the Grizzly's @ $40) and permanently chuck their oft used bits (roundovers and flush trimming).

I think bit flexing is more a function of the shank size being 1/4" than the tool. It's also an easy fix to make an alternate baseplate for it. I use a piece of 1/4" hardboard with an oak rail glued to the edge for most of my trim work.

Rich Rice
03-27-2009, 9:36 AM
Sounds like a plan. Thanks for your help. I'm going to pull the trigger on one today.

I think my flexing problem is less the bit, and more the cheap plastic baseplate and locking system on the Harbor Freight unit. It's a great unit for less critical things, but I need a precision tool for this type of work. The big routers are too unwieldy for some of the duties, and changing collets five times per hour gets really old.

Jerome Hanby
03-27-2009, 9:38 AM
Another +1 on the Colt. Mine is the single speed, is the variable speed really useful?

Doug Shepard
03-27-2009, 9:42 AM
Microfence plunge base + whatever floats your boat.

Mike Henderson
03-27-2009, 9:45 AM
I have an old Ryobi and the Bosch Colt. Both are good but I use the Colt more.

Mike

J.R. Rutter
03-27-2009, 9:50 AM
I'll be the first to say that I have the Colt and don't use it much because I like the old style Porter Cable 310 better. It has a lower center of gravity than the Bosch and feels more stable to me. Maybe it is whatever fits your hand. I have 2 of the 310s. The older one is US made, and the newer one is hecho en Mexico. They seem to be exactly the same in performance.

Chris Padilla
03-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks, JR, for that info on the PC 310...I've never seen it before! It does look lower-profile and therefore lower center of gravity. That can be important on edges.

That said, I have the Bosch Colt as well and really do like it alot but I may have to look for a PC 310 to try out one of these days.

glenn bradley
03-27-2009, 10:38 AM
+1 on the Colt with a Pat Warner offset base (or the set). I notice you do luthier stuff. I would go with the variable speed. I spent the extra few bucks and am glad for the finer control.

The spindle lock on mine broke and I found this to be a common complaint. It was repaired in a few days and I changed to a two wrench method using the Bosch provided "fix" wrench. I'm the oddball I guess as two wrenches are easier to use and provide more control to me than cranking down on a pin-held arbor shaft.

P.s. The PC 310 is very nice but no longer in production (http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2009/02/04/top-16-trim-routers-bosch-colt-vs-makita-vs-pc310-vs-ridgid-r2400-and-more/). Only some suit at Black and Decker knows why they would discontinue this fine tool. Betterly (http://www.betterleytools.com/310%20Offer.htm) bought up a large amount of stock and still offers them.

J.R. Rutter
03-27-2009, 10:50 AM
P.s. The PC 310 is very nice but no longer in production (http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2009/02/04/top-16-trim-routers-bosch-colt-vs-makita-vs-pc310-vs-ridgid-r2400-and-more/). Only some suit at Black and Decker knows why they would discontinue this fine tool. Betterly (http://www.betterleytools.com/310%20Offer.htm) bought up a large amount of stock and still offers them.

Figures . . . Featuritis and marketing claims another solid performer. Thanks for the link to Betterly.

Paul Fitzgerald
03-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Another vote for the Colt. I absolutely love mine!

Paul

Dave Falkenstein
03-27-2009, 11:15 AM
I use the PC310 and the Bosch Colt, both with the offset base from Pat Warner. Both work well. Visibility is better on the Colt. The PC7310 has a terrible height adjustment mechanism, and mine is now dedicated to a jig. Probably hard to beat the Colt - good price and one of the best trim routers currently.

For a high-end trim router, the Festool MFK700 has received many favorable comments. Very pricey compared to the Colt though. Depends on your needs. For roundovers, I'd opt for the Bosch Colt with Pat Warner's offset base.

Bruce Page
03-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Another + vote for the Bosch Colt. Out of the box it’s a sweet little router. I made a plunge base for mine that is similar to the Micro-Fence setup.

Chris Padilla
03-27-2009, 11:27 AM
+1 on the Colt with a Pat Warner offset base (or the set).

The spindle lock on mine broke and I found this to be a common complaint. It was repaired in a few days and I changed to a two wrench method using the Bosch provided "fix" wrench.

I keep going to Pat's site but I still haven't pulled the trigger for some reason. I KNOW it would be great to have some of his bases...will have to go look again! :D

Interesting on the spindle lock...maybe I'll try to be a bit more careful with mine but so far so good on it.

John Callahan
03-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Another vote for the Porter Cable 310. The Colt doesn't feel as good in the hand to me as the 310 does.

Rich Rice
03-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Well, I went with the VS Colt- looks like a solid unit. Thanks again for your suggestions. I got the package with the different bases, though I'm not sure I will use them much. I never know what I'm going to do next, so it's better to have the capabilities...

I'm liking the look of the Pat Warner Offset base, too. Looks alot safer than my current unit, as well as more stable. I wonder if the 3/8" plate thickness limits the depth of cut, but I suppose I'd just buy some longer bits to compensate if the need arises.

The Festool looks great, but is cost prohibitive for me- I also think it might be overkill plus.. The 310 looks like a great unit, too, but to only have one I think I'm probably better off having a current production model.

I feel better about making the purchase since reading all your input, and once again am grateful for your expertise. :)

Russ Boyd
03-27-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm only replying cause nobody said the ridgid. I have two ridgids, a porter cable and a colt. Use the Ridgids the most. Keep the pc with a roundover at the height I use the most and don't change it as the changing sucks like someone else said. You'll be happy with the colt I'm sure, but for a back up, consider the ridgid. GREAT little router.

Larry Edgerton
03-27-2009, 6:09 PM

I have 7 PC 310's, so you can guess what my favorite is. Three are on Betterly fixtures. I have been bidding on them on Ebay, but they are going high. Thanks for the tip on Betterly.

Dave Falkenstein
03-27-2009, 6:36 PM
...Interesting on the spindle lock...maybe I'll try to be a bit more careful with mine but so far so good on it.

I gave up on the Colt spindle lock and use two wrenches.

Curt Harms
03-27-2009, 7:06 PM
I gave up on the Colt spindle lock and use two wrenches.
The Colt used to ship with 1 wrench. I just got one--it came with 2 wrenches.

Peter Pedisich
03-27-2009, 7:54 PM
The PC-310 is the perfect size and shape, but the collet can be cranky. Also, when I put a tall flush trimming bit in it the cut is slightly out of square.
If I get another it will be the Colt...

Bill Huber
03-27-2009, 8:21 PM
Does anyone like the Bosch Colt....:D:D:D

I love mine.

Funny thing is I have used it a lot and have never had a problem with the lock, I just use one wrench.

Dewey Torres
03-27-2009, 8:34 PM
Does anyone like the Bosch Colt....:D:D:D

I love mine.

Funny thing is I have used it a lot and have never had a problem with the lock, I just use one wrench.

I have the Colt and I can't stand it. Terrible tool!

(Dewey wakes up from a bad dream)

No really... +1 for the Colt. I bought mine reconditioned from CPO Bosch with a "good as new warranty" for cheap. One of the best tools I own and never had the problems with the locking mechanism either.

Richard McComas
03-27-2009, 8:54 PM
I have 3 of the pc 310s

Cary Falk
03-27-2009, 10:52 PM
I have the Ridgid. It gets very hot in my hand. It it difficult to remove the base to change the base. I don't like the position of the switch. It is not my favorite tool but it was the right price

Bill Huber
03-27-2009, 10:59 PM
I have the Ridgid. It gets very hot in my hand. It it difficult to remove the base to change the base. I don't like the position of the switch. It is not my favorite tool but it was the right price

I had 3 of the Ridgid ones and finally just got my money back.

When I talked to Ridge about it they told me I must have got a bad one. I took the first one back and went to a different store and got the next one. Same problem, took it back and exchanged it, same problem. Called Ridgid and was told again I just must have got a bad one, they had never heard of a heat problem.
Took the last one back and got the Colt.

Michael Schwartz
03-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Bosch colt gets my vote.

Larry Edgerton
03-28-2009, 6:25 AM
The PC-310 is the perfect size and shape, but the collet can be cranky. Also, when I put a tall flush trimming bit in it the cut is slightly out of square.
If I get another it will be the Colt...

I'll send you a brand new Colt for your 310.

Larry

Perry Underwood
03-28-2009, 7:52 AM
Rich, it's nice to see a fellow guitar builder on this site. I am a little concerned, however, about the power of the typical laminate trimmer for some of the jobs you may be using it for.

I attended the guitar building and repair program in Red Wing, Minnesota, and I remember a scary experience I had using a laminate trimmer. I was using it to route the bridge pickup cavity in hard maple and the bit broke. Now it could have been the bit, but I wonder if the typical laminate trimmer, in this case a PC model, has enough power for the heavier jobs. Laminate trimmers seem to have about half the amps as a 1 3/4 hp full size router.

Rich Rice
03-28-2009, 8:29 AM
Rich, it's nice to see a fellow guitar builder on this site. I am a little concerned, however, about the power of the typical laminate trimmer for some of the jobs you may be using it for.

I attended the guitar building and repair program in Red Wing, Minnesota, and I remember a scary experience I had using a laminate trimmer. I was using it to route the bridge pickup cavity in hard maple and the bit broke. Now it could have been the bit, but I wonder if the typical laminate trimmer, in this case a PC model, has enough power for the heavier jobs. Laminate trimmers seem to have about half the amps as a 1 3/4 hp full size router.

Thanks for the greeting, Perry. :)

I have a 3hp router for the heavier jobs, a 1-3/4 hp for general use, and a laminate trimmer for the finer work. I also built a router table for the real big stuff and for binding channels. I like the laminate trimmer for pickup cavities and roundovers, due to the portable nature of the beast. I feel like I get better control with the smaller, easy to handle tool. I just never had a real good laminate trimmer, and don't like to ask questions of so-called "luthiers".. Most of my work in the early years was fixing the junk they built and correcting their mistakes. This is a much better forum, with many experienced craftsmen.

I am constantly afraid of the 1/4" shank bits, but they seem to be a necessary evil, when using 3/8" and 1/2" template bits. A pin router would be good in many instances, but I don't have the floor space nor the funds to justify one of those behemoths.

I guess my main duties for this little router will be for truss rod channels, pickup routs, and rounding over edges of the bodies. Anything beyond that warrants one of the bigger machines.

With that being said, I guess it remains to be seen how this new Colt will perform.. It is scheduled to arrive on Monday. I can hardly wait to give it a try. I'll probably get one of those fancy baseplates, too. I like the extra stability and the handle. I'm forever holding the base down with my left hand, steadying and guiding the router- and worrying it will jump and remove a finger.

Mike Gager
03-28-2009, 12:55 PM
i have the ryobi one+ 18volt trimmer and love it. i use it more then my big router

Bill Houghton
03-28-2009, 2:33 PM
I'll be the first to say that I have the Colt and don't use it much because I like the old style Porter Cable 310 better. It has a lower center of gravity than the Bosch and feels more stable to me. Maybe it is whatever fits your hand. I have 2 of the 310s. The older one is US made, and the newer one is hecho en Mexico. They seem to be exactly the same in performance.

+1 on the Porter-Cable 310. I believe it's now out of production, though.

Rich Rice
03-29-2009, 11:44 PM
This man was helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, courteous, expedient, and sincere. Thanks for pointing me in his direction. I bought his sub base set, and can't wait to try it out. What a nice man. The world needs more folks like him. :)

Rich Rice
04-01-2009, 9:34 AM
Nice trimmer! I cut a truss rod channel with it yesterday, and it was far superior to my old one. I need to become accustomed to the soft start- nice feature, but it feels weird. The machine seemed to have enough power, but it's quieter and smoother than what I'm used to. ;) I can't wait for my Warner baseplates to arrive!

Cole Dunlay
04-01-2009, 10:06 AM
The PC 310 was discontinued due to Underwriter's Laboratories changing their standards. The 310 no longer met the standards. That said, there are still some of them out there in distribution - you just have to look pretty hard.

Cole

Dar Lounsbury
04-04-2009, 1:00 PM
I have 3 PC 310s and really like them. One has a Pat Warner base which works awesome, one is set up with offset base and just standard. It took a real idiot to stop production of this great router. I may have to buy another while I can. Collet can be sticky but is workable. Just keep clean and a little lube.

Dar

jason lambert
04-05-2009, 10:08 AM
+1 for the colt I have it it is pretty good, the Riobe I have used and that is not to bad but the depth adj sucks but it does fit my hand better. I also have the Festool and that is the best but you can not see the bit :( It has more power and more options and total dust control.

Rich Rice
04-07-2009, 5:27 AM
Well, I gave the Colt a bit of a workout yesterday. So far, so good...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/dabluzeguy/Greg%20RF/DSCN7135.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/dabluzeguy/Greg%20RF/DSCN7134.jpg

J.R. Rutter
04-16-2009, 1:46 PM
BEAUTIFUL!

I was just in at Grizzly today and saw that they still have the discontinued PC 310 kits for $160. I picked up another one to have around for a dedicated setup.