PDA

View Full Version : Best way to cut miter slots?

Chris Allen
03-27-2009, 7:32 AM
I need to cut a couple of miter slots in my outfeed table. What is the best and most accurate way to do this?

Thanks.

Richard Wagner
03-27-2009, 7:48 AM
I need to cut a couple of miter slots in my outfeed table? What is the best, and most accurate way to do this?

Thanks.

Assuming your outfeed table is made of wood, this seems to me to be a simple job for your router.

Accuracy really isn't an issue, is it? The miter track in the outfeed table is normally just a clearance area for the end of the miter bar. Mine are cut about a half inch wider than my miter bars.

Ray Dockrey
03-27-2009, 7:53 AM
Assuming your outfeed table is made of wood, this seems to me to be a simple job for your router.

Accuracy really isn't an issue, is it? The miter track in the outfeed table is normally just a clearance area for the end of the miter bar. Mine are cut about a half inch wider than my miter bars.My thoughts exactly. They are more for clearance then anything and a router would work just fine for it. Even if you do want them exact a router would be my choice.

keith ouellette
03-27-2009, 9:48 AM
I doubt they need to be perfect but they will have to be in line with the slots on the saw table. I would hook up your outfeed table and hook a straight edge of sorts to the top and have it aligned so the dado cutter on the router will be in the correct spot.

Put a flat piece of wood between your outfeed table and you sable saw so you can cut into it with the dado cutter and not hit the table of the saw.

Or you could hook up the table an just mark lines in it with a straght edeg to show where the dados would go and then take it off and do the cutting.

glenn bradley
03-27-2009, 10:59 AM
I routed mine at a 1" width. My outfeed is not attached and I wanted no surprises if it happened to get bumped out of line. I have never had an issue.

I laid a piece of 3/4" stock in the miter gauge and let it extend out over the table. Marked an edge added 1/8", clamped on a guide and used that to route the 1" slot.

As an added bonus I cut 3/4" strips of different length and marked them. These get dropped into oneof the slots and act as a stop for my sleds. Different lengths for different sleds.

John Thompson
03-27-2009, 12:02 PM
As Glenn.. my rear extension is attached to the top of a Ridgid flip top stand. The front edge of the extention slips over two exposed dowels that are glued in a wood block and attached and bolted to the rear rail. So... the etenstion table can be picked up and moved when desired.

I also cut mine 1" as there is no reason to have them 3/4" as the real miter slots on the table. The 1" gives plenty of clearance even if my removable extension base (the Ridgid flip top stand) is not always put back in the exact spot.

Good luck...

Sarge..