PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
03-27-2009, 7:17 AM
Friday March 27, 2009

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

So how's the first week of spring been in your neck of the woods? This weather is really crazy. We've been cool and rainy this past week with snow predicted for tomorrow. At least it shouldn't be around for long. The grass is just starting to turn green and the robins are back, so it should start getting better soon.

It's been a pretty busy week for me, which has prevented me from accomplishing anything in the shop. I'll give it a try again this weekend, as long as it isn't too cold. Even in retirement there never seems to be enough time. :(

Hopefully this weekend will find you enjoying yourself doing something you really want to do. As you do those things, please be SAFE. And have a great weekend.

Karl

Herbert Wallace
03-27-2009, 7:35 AM
Its been raining here off and on most of the week. Stopped for now. I started a cedar garden bench for my youngest daughter yesterday. I planed the lumber and made the ends of the bench. She got in from Dallas about midnight last night, and she is going to help me finish it up today and tomorrow so she can bring it back Mon. Love working with eastern red cedar. Makes the shop smell good.
Have a nice weekend ALL.

Don Orr
03-27-2009, 1:15 PM
Annual woodworking show on Saratoga Springs, NY-combined with Totally Turning symposium. All wood all weekend !

Then off for 2 weeks of vaction-first time in many years !

Jim Becker
03-27-2009, 3:16 PM
Typical weekend coming...equestrian activities on Saturday, some home maintenance things and landscaping any time it's not raining. Maybe some shop time.

Brent Ring
03-27-2009, 3:50 PM
Finishing up a bed I am working on for my son - and TAXES! - Church on Sunday!

Paul Ryan
03-27-2009, 4:04 PM
Picking up and assembling my new saw. I was worried this would be the 2nd weekend with out a table saw, what would I do. Even though I haven't got the saw yet better not jinx my self.

It is as cold as a WITCH"S you know what still. When the heck is winter going to leave. This morning it was 13. That is still balmy compared to Jan. weather but still. But things are looking up a high of 38 tommarow, and holy smokes a fricken heat wave on sunday 45, but then as usual back into the lower 30's for highes and low twenties and teens for lowes. As you can tell I am a little sick of winter.

Be safe this weekend guys.

Jim O'Dell
03-27-2009, 8:33 PM
Well, I'm finishing up the first half of my weekend this evening! :rolleyes: Took 2 days vacation yesterday and today. Yesterday, mainly rested. Did try to take 2 saw blades out to get resharpened. Pulled in the place a guy that used to work at Woodcraft told me about. Sat in the car for a minute, and decided that wasn't where I wanted to leave 150.00 worth of saw blades. I need to see if there is a USPS Flat Rate box that 2 blades will fit into and ship them off to someplace good. Only problem is one blade may not be worth sharpening as multiple tips are chipped...I was hoping to get to talk to someone in person to get a recommendation as to what to do. Picked up a little of the dead fall for burning. We've had some crazy weather too. In the upper 70's early in the week. Good rain Wed. Cloudy Thurs, but comfortable out. Nice this am, but it's cold now. And a chance for snow flurries after midnight?? :confused: Did get a sprinkler head replaced today, and some of the left over R13 insulation put up in the finishing room out in the shop. I'll blow in some more insulation later as the shop ceiling has nothing in it, but thought this was a good place to put this for now. At least it will do better there and get it off the floor.
Did have to put one of the rescue dogs down today. That was a bummer. We have shared fostering her with a family in Dallas. They came over to be with Missy in her final hours. I thought that was really special.
Hope everyone has a great weekend! I'm really enjoying being mostly lazy for mine. :cool: Jim.

Tommy Curtiss
03-28-2009, 2:50 AM
Me ,,this weekend I plan on sleeping in,,been a little,,,,aaaa,,LOUD over here the last few nights,,but people say that is o.k. for this time of year,,the soonies are a little restless and the copters sometimes wake me up in my chu at night,,,,,,

OH,,I AM SORRY,,forgot to tell you where I am:),,I am working on a contract in the support of Irqai Freedom here in Baghdad Iraq,,(yes Jim Odell,,I went a little far this time)But it is really rewarding,,I am working with Operations and Maint. on a Forward Operating Base called Shield in the suburbs of Baghdad in Sadr City,,if you google earth it,I am just east of Alshaheed Monument or they call it Martyr's Monument

But I think Sunday I am going to use a sick day and sleep in,the copters at night fly so low sometimes they wake you up in your containerized housing unit.But things are well and the soldiers moral is high,most of them are going home soon and make way for another round of guys coming in,,So take care guys,be safe in your shops..and make some dust for me,,Tommy in Sand land

Jim O'Dell
03-28-2009, 9:22 AM
Well, even if you invite me over there to visit, I'm not coming!!! You're right, that is a little far this time, but GOOD ON YOU for helping out. Keep out of harms way. Hope to see you when you get back. And you'll be happy to know, still no smoke!:D Jim.

Ben Cadotte
03-28-2009, 4:15 PM
Built another wall cabinet out of some scrap OSB for some of my automotive stuff. Built a small cheap bench / table to hold my mid sized blast cabinet up a bit higher.

While cutting the OSB noticed the edge was burning some. Decided to check the alignment and was out .012 (Craftsman contractors). So I decided to align it up. Was being a pain so I ended up pulling the motor off and doing a good job of it. Now have it to .001 or less. :D Then decided to add a wood fence to my new Incra 1000SE.

After that I decided it was time to use up some more scrap ply I had and made a 16"x42" drill press table. Only problem I had was my BORG screws kept breaking :mad:. I figured since it was a shop project might as well use them up on it. Learned my lesson a while ago. I tossed every last one of them in the trash (probably 700-800 screws). Even shop projects will now get good screws. Just glad I didn't stock up on them like I was thinking last time I was there.

I think Tuesday I may make a trip across the state and pick up a couple hundred board feet of some Cherry, and maybe some Maple. Family tree farm that does their own milling and slow air drys to 12%. Really nice stable wood.

Rich Engelhardt
03-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Hello,
Saturday - continue milling the pieces for the coffered look drop ceiling project for the downstairs bathroom.

Pieces of red oak unfinished flooring with the T&G cut off.
I ripped the T&G off a couple of weeks ago.
Next is a trip across the router table w/a 1/2" straight bit to clean up the edges & reduce them down to 1.3" wide.

Mission complete!

I ended up with a nice full garbage bag of oak shavings too!
(more on that @ a later time ;))
Good news was it was sunny and warm so I could work in the driveway.
Bad news was, it was sunny and warm, but the neighbor across the street wasn't out doing yard work.
Which is probably good news since - she's distracting and my wife was helping me with the milling.
(Although she's never given any indication of it - I'd much prefer my wife not get ideas of pushing my nose into a router bit.. :O)

Sunday - my brother in law asked if he could borrow my table saw so he could use it to install trim in his bathroom. IMNSHO, it was a clever ruse to get me to do the job ;). Either that or he has no idea that the TS weighs ~ 300# and isn't portable - certainly not in the trunk of my Accord. Whatever - it worked!

Besides, how could I possibly pass up the chance to play with:
- my 23 ga pinner.
- my new Starrett protractor.
- my new digital protractor.
- my new ($5.00 Lowes plastic) protractor.
- Abby.
- my PC 16 ga. finish nailer.
- a 30 pack of cold ones.
- my new Dremel LiIon screwdriver.
- my new Dremel Multimaster.
:D.