PDA

View Full Version : Cool blocks or ceramic?

Myk Rian
03-27-2009, 6:29 AM
Looking for some input. What do you prefer, and why?
Ceramic http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6542
Cool blocks http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16850
Thanks

Pete Bradley
03-27-2009, 7:35 AM
Aw geez, just search the archives. The topic of alternate guides comes up constantly. A sizeable proportion of the responses are just echoes of stuff other people read, yada yada. Bottom line is if you're looking to run fine blades buried, buy cool blocks, if you're looking to customize your machine, buy whichever appeals to you. Neither option's going to amount to a hill of beans in normal use.

Pete

Marlin Williams
03-27-2009, 8:09 AM
Soem people even use a oily wood (can;t remember the name right now) as blocks.

Fred Hargis
03-27-2009, 8:15 AM
I switched from cool blocks to the ceramic a year or two ago...the ceramic don't wear nearly as much as the cool blocks...I'll probably stay with them.

Bill White
03-27-2009, 8:49 AM
Cool blocks.
Bill

Bill Swanson
03-27-2009, 2:50 PM
There are threads on here suggesting rock maple or hard wood soaked in Mineral oil and then microwaved.

I went that way to try it, had been using cool blocks.

I like these better and they are cheap. You can bury the whole blade and not worry.

Frank Drew
03-27-2009, 5:41 PM
Aw geez, just search the archives. The topic of alternate guides comes up constantly. A sizeable proportion of the responses are just echoes of stuff other people read, yada yada. Bottom line is if you're looking to run fine blades buried, buy cool blocks, if you're looking to customize your machine, buy whichever appeals to you. Neither option's going to amount to a hill of beans in normal use.

Pete

Someone get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? :cool:

Paul Demetropoulos
03-27-2009, 7:19 PM
Well Pete made sound a little cranky but I agree with his answer.

Myk Rian
03-29-2009, 8:07 AM
OK, I searched. Didn't come up with a definitive answer. But I did find references to using hardwood to make your own. To try it, I made some out of scrap cherry. They work :)

It seems you can cut them out of hardwood, and soak them in either WD-40 or use mineral oil with a microwave treatment.

Now I have a new question. Why the microwave?

Perry Underwood
03-29-2009, 9:49 AM
I had the idea of using wooden dowels. The upper guides in my bandsaw use blocks and 1/2 inch dowels fit nicely.