PDA

View Full Version : about to attempt first humidor - where to get parts?

Glenn Lewis
03-26-2009, 11:08 PM
i'm going to attempt to make my first humidor. i see a lot of beautiful ones here on SMC. Where do you guys recommend getting the parts? as i understand it, at a minimum i need some spanish cedar, a hygrometer and humidifier. Is anything else required to make it a humidor as opposed to 'just a box'?

any good websites or tips on the best features for a humidor?

thanks in advance,

Glenn

Bill Wyko
03-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Check out cigarinternational.com, cheaphumidors.com, tinderbox.com and for the woods, woodworkerssource.com. This should get you started. PM me for more info.:)

sascha gast
03-27-2009, 1:51 AM
follow this guy on cigarpass, i know i shouldn't link, but if you search on that side, he made a few of them

cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52365

i built one myself

ping me if you have questions

Jason White
03-27-2009, 3:46 AM
The most important thing is that is keeps cigars at 70-percent humidity without letting "bugs" get into them. The cedar also helps to enhance the flavor of the cigars.

i'm going to attempt to make my first humidor. i see a lot of beautiful ones here on SMC. Where do you guys recommend getting the parts? as i understand it, at a minimum i need some spanish cedar, a hygrometer and humidifier. Is anything else required to make it a humidor as opposed to 'just a box'?

any good websites or tips on the best features for a humidor?

thanks in advance,

Glenn

Vince Shriver
03-27-2009, 8:46 AM
Woodcraft carries a humidifier and hardware.

sascha gast
03-27-2009, 2:51 PM
ok, now I gotta jump in a bit more.

for the most part, most foam humidification units are awful, either too moist or too dry. heartfeltindustries.com sells beads in 60-65-70% RH and they work amazing, they even sell units you can mount in the humidor. I prefer 65% because cigars smoke better that way, 60 is too dry and 70 sometimes too moist, depending on cigar. most shops store cigars at about 75 and they burn horrible.

beetles don't get into the humidor, they are already in the cigars in form of eggs and if the temperature rises too much they can hatch, which is why you should watch that the humidor's temp doesn't go higher than 70-75 degrees.
I have my humidor temp controlled and store my cigars at 65%RH and 65 degrees.

if you do find a bug, you can still freeze the cigars and kill the bugs, but you will most likely be fine.

spanish cedar can be had at rockler and woodcraft, but i needed more than 1/4" thick boards, so I went to the lumber yard and had them order it for me at $5/bdft. I ordered over 100 bdft.

ok, that should do, hehehe

Rick Moyer
03-27-2009, 3:07 PM
ok, now I gotta jump in a bit more.

for the most part, most foam humidification units are awful, either too moist or too dry. heartfeltindustries.com sells beads in 60-65-70% RH and they work amazing, they even sell units you can mount in the humidor. I prefer 65% because cigars smoke better that way, 60 is too dry and 70 sometimes too moist, depending on cigar. most shops store cigars at about 75 and they burn horrible.

beetles don't get into the humidor, they are already in the cigars in form of eggs and if the temperature rises too much they can hatch, which is why you should watch that the humidor's temp doesn't go higher than 70-75 degrees.
I have my humidor temp controlled and store my cigars at 65%RH and 65 degrees.

if you do find a bug, you can still freeze the cigars and kill the bugs, but you will most likely be fine.

spanish cedar can be had at rockler and woodcraft, but i needed more than 1/4" thick boards, so I went to the lumber yard and had them order it for me at $5/bdft. I ordered over 100 bdft.

ok, that should do, hehehe

+1 on the beads and the 65%. wouldn't go any other way.

Eric DeSilva
03-27-2009, 9:55 PM
beetles don't get into the humidor, they are already in the cigars in form of eggs

Ugh. That almost put me off smoking cigars...

Oh waitaminute. I'm chewing a piece of nicorette this moment, having quit smoking. Never mind.