PDA

View Full Version : First Bowl Sold

Jake Helmboldt
03-26-2009, 8:42 PM
OK, it was actually an auction, not a sale. I contributed it to a silent auction for the Faison School for Autism here in Richmond as part of a fundraiser dinner we attended. But I was pretty stoked to find that someone was willing to pay money for something I turned!:eek: I think the final price was $65.

This was the 6th bowl I've ever turned and it "turned" out a lot different than what I initially envisioned. At first I wasn't sure I liked it, but I kept working with it and found that it had an odd, yet organic feel to it. I finished it with several coats of Waterlox and buffed it. There are a couple worm holes that go all the way through as well, so its kind of an eclectic piece. It is about 7-8" across at the widest point. The shadow lines in the pic kind of hides the actual shape; kind of a curving, shallow vase-like shape.

I highly suggest using your skills (and there are a lot of skills here at the Creek) to make an auction piece. It was a rewarding endeavor for a good cause.

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Congrats Jake. Isn't that a good feeling.

Jim Kountz
03-26-2009, 10:14 PM
There ya go Jake now keep em coming!!

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Jake - congrats on your sale! Auctions can be a great source of finding people who are looking for art! I donated a few pieces a couple of years ago and included my business card with the turnings. Ended up with a few commissioned turnings as a result!

Rick Huelsbeck
03-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Beautiful piece and congratulations on the sell. When you know it's going for a good cause you can't help but feel good about it.

Christopher Pine
03-27-2009, 7:36 PM
The winner got a bargain!