PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Help

doug parker
03-26-2009, 8:27 PM
Hi, Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to get the exhaust outside and make it look good. I am in a basement and my house is all brick and hate to knock a 4" hole in the brick. I have one of those tilt in basement windows but I am unsure what to do to get outside. I have a 6' outside door going out of the basement that I knocked a hole in for my cnc router "shop bot". This door is aprox. 30' away, Is that too far as I could exit beside the other 4" hole? Thanks for any suggestions, Doug

Curt Stallings
03-26-2009, 8:32 PM
Can you remove the glazing around the window and remove the glass? Then you could use your laser to cut a 4" hole in some 1/4" acrylic and put that in place of the window.

Curt

Joe Pelonio
03-27-2009, 7:13 AM
Can you remove the glazing around the window and remove the glass? Then you could use your laser to cut a 4" hole in some 1/4" acrylic and put that in place of the window.

Curt
That's what I did, placed the laser right under a window and replaced the lower panel with acrylic with a hole, dryer vent on the outside that opens when the blower is on. You can go 30' but will need to do the math to calculate the blower power needed, much more than for a short run.

doug parker
03-27-2009, 8:32 AM
OK, The window has a insulated piece of glass so I will have to remove the whole glass payne. The Insulated unit looks to be about 1/2" thick or maybe more. Is there a wide range of acrylic thicknesses to pick from and where is the best place to purchase it. I could even run the power cord through a seperate hole for the blower. Thanks for the help, Doug

Jeremy Butler
03-27-2009, 9:40 AM
What kind of window is it? is it the double with one slider? I took out the sliding window and just inserted the plexiglass so if I move the laser I can just pop the other window back in

Joe Pelonio
03-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Yes, just you might do with a window A/C unit, remove the frame and all and insert the acrylic cut to size. In my case I also ran sticky foam insulation around the edges to seal it from the winter cold. You can get acrylic an inch thick if you want but 1/4" should be enough and cheaper. If you are worried about strength for the size use polycarbonate instead.

Dave Johnson29
03-27-2009, 12:02 PM
The Insulated unit looks to be about 1/2" thick or maybe more.

Do you really need to use clear stuff? Some marine-plywood would probably be cheaper and easier to handle. It would assume it to have better insulation characteristics than acrylic too.