PDA

View Full Version : PRL-V2 + WIXY Digital

Roger Bolen
03-26-2009, 4:30 PM
I have a Porter Cable 7518 mounted in a Woodpecker PRL-V2. I just added a WIXY Digital Remote Readout (model 525) to this setup. The Wixy is advertised as a good addition to the PC/PRL combination. My problem is that every time I start the router, the reading on the Wixy jumps +/- 2 inches. I have tried to reloate the the Wixy to different locations on the PRL and as far from the router as I can to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this problem or figured out how to shield the Wixy from the Router startup field?

Roger

Cole Dunlay
03-26-2009, 5:11 PM
Was that a typo or does it really change by +/- 2"? If it is +/-.002" it could simply be due to the tolerance in the bearings of the router or something to do with the lift. When you turn the router on it could cause it to jump a small amount but if it is +/- 2" I'd say there is something wrong with your gauge. Good Luck

Cole

Roger Bolen
03-26-2009, 6:08 PM
No it is not a typo, the reading always jumps when power is applied to the router and it can be up to +/- 2 inches.

Roger

Chris Padilla
03-26-2009, 6:16 PM
Roger,

If you slapped the router table hard with your hand near the Wixey, will it jump as well? In other words, does it appear related to vibration? Can you clap hard/loudly right in front of the Wixey and see anything? I would be very surprised if you did but I'm just curious.

I'm assuming "NO" to all these tests and so it would, indeed, likely be electromagnetic interference from the router starting up. What happens AFTER the router is started...does it stay all messed up? Can you reset it? In other words, does it appear to only be a start-up issue? Can you move the power cord in relation to the Wixey or even to just test this theory, hook up a different power cord or extension cord (or whatever) so that you can reroute the power cord and see if that helps.

Brad Townsend
03-26-2009, 6:57 PM
I got one of the first units that Barry shipped and it behaved similar to what you describe. Since I have both a PC 890 motor (that stays in the table) and a Dewalt 618, I tried the Dewalt to see if the same thing happened. It did, but with much less frequency.

Obviously, it shouldn't happen at all. I emailed Barry and since I purchased it from him direct, he immediately sent me a replacement. The second one works fine. Why certain ones would be subject to electromagnetic interference is anybody's guess. You just got a bad unit. Take it back where you got it. If you ordered it from Barry, email him and he will make it right.

Phil Harding
03-26-2009, 7:58 PM
I have a Porter Cable 7518 mounted in a Woodpecker PRL-V2. I just added a WIXY Digital Remote Readout (model 525) to this setup. The Wixy is advertised as a good addition to the PC/PRL combination. My problem is that every time I start the router, the reading on the Wixy jumps +/- 2 inches. I have tried to reloate the the Wixy to different locations on the PRL and as far from the router as I can to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this problem or figured out how to shield the Wixy from the Router startup field?

Roger
Interesting. You just described the exact same problem I have with mine. Mine is mounted to a Woodpeckers PRL with a PC 7518 motor. The digital read out is usually stable when the router is not running but jumps all around with the router running. I can zero it and it can jump to 7.200. I assumed this was normal and attributable to vibration.

-- Phil

I'll fire off an email to Barry to see what he says.

Roger Bolen
03-27-2009, 10:08 AM
I sent Barry an e-mail on this problem, my e-mail and his response is listed below.

Roger

I have a Porter Cable 7518 mounted in a Woodpecker PRL-V2. I just added a WIXEY Digital Remote Readout (model 525) to this setup which I purchased through Woodpeckers. The Wixey is advertised as a good addition to the PC/PRL combination. My problem is that every time I start the router, the reading on the Wixey jumps +/- 2 inches. I have tried to relocate the the Wixy to different locations on the PRL and as far from the router as I can to no avail. Apparently there is a shielding problem with the digital Remote Readout. How can I shield the Wixey from the Router startup field? Based upon input from the Sawmill Creek Woodworking Forum, this is not an isolated problem. Please help me with a proper fix.

Thank You

Hi Roger;

Sorry to hear about this problem. For some reason this situation has just started showing up in some isolated situations in the last few weeks. When we did the Beta testing we did find that the electronic components needed to be completed shielded and internally connected to prevent electrical noise from interfering. We changed the scale material from aluminum to steel and added fully shielded cabling which appeared to resolve this. We then started selling the first batch of these before Christmas and no problems were reported until recently. I assume because we are getting a lot more units in the field attached to a lot of different lifts and routers.

I am giving you this background in hopes that you and your fellow Creekers can help me sort through this. Here is the message I sent when this was first reported:

There are a few things to check. I assume that you can run the system up and down with no errors but the problem occurs after running your router? If so, the error you are seeing could be a result of 4 possible problems:

1. The readout has become loose on the scale and the circuit board inside is not close enough to the scale. You can tighten the 4 screws in the back a little if this is the case. This would cause a problem even if you are not running the router. ( I don’t suspect this with a new system)
2. There is some major static generation going on and the being discharged through your lift. You may want to try grounding it if it is not grounded.
3. The electrical noise generated by your router is causing the same type of interference as a static discharge. Grounding may help this as well. You may want to tie back your power cable so it is not close to your readout cable or other components. Also keep your readout cable tied away from the side of your router.
4. Your readout is defective.

Regarding number 2. and 3. We have just had 2 reports of brand new Triton routers having excesses electrical noise and causing this type of problem. Grounding the scale mounting hardware back to earth ground seemed to solved this.

The solution seems to be in finding the proper components to ground. You can ground the only the router and lift, or only the readout components, or finally the readout components may need to be electrically insulated from the lift by using plastic screws and plastic shims.

If you have the patience to try some of these steps I would really appreciate it. I am more than happy to send you anew sensor and scale to try too. I am confident we can figure this out. We always do.

Barry Wixey
Wixey
email digital@wixey.com
web site www.wixey.com

Chris Padilla
03-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Depending on the source of the EMI, it is possible that a common-mode choke placed on the power cable could help.

A common-mode choke is often seen on camera charge cords, some computer mouses...it is the bulky item and may have the cord wrapped around it a couple of times. This choke cancels/absorbs the magnetic fields generated by common-mode currents in the cable.

On your power cable, due to its size, it might be difficult to find such a beast but an electronics surplus store may likely have such items.

Describing the noise at "static" noise is incorrect. There are two ways noise can be transmitted to disrupt systems: conductively and radiatively. I suspect strongly that this noise is be generated radiatively.

The steps Barry took sound good except one must make sure that the shielding is well-connected to the grounding structure and at more than one point (so called 360 degree connection).

I used to be an EMC (Electromagnetic Compliance) engineer in a past life so I've dealt with issues like this all the time. :)

Jerry White
03-27-2009, 1:34 PM
Roger,

Since Barry Wixey suggests the possible culprit to be EMI, I would first take a look at the AC power wiring. Is it properly grounded?

Also, I have the PC 7518 in my router table and I see that it does not use a grounded plug. This may sound weird, but it is easy, and worth a try. Try reversing the 7518 power plug in the jack. Probably won't work due to the jack having polarized slots, but I'm wondering if the hot and neutral in the power jack may be reversed.