PDA

View Full Version : Hard Spalted Maple

mike wagoner
03-26-2009, 2:20 PM
I just received some hard spalted maple and was wondering if there was a special way for turning this wood. What do I have to look out for? Thank you.
Mike

curtis rosche
03-26-2009, 3:38 PM
bugs that go splat! and wear a mask, the dust can be a little unhealthy

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2009, 3:46 PM
I've seen some beautiful turnings come out of spalted maple! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it! Have fun!

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2009, 3:51 PM
Mike really nothing special about turning it. Only thing I would recommend some type of breathing protection when sanding.

Toney Robertson
03-26-2009, 5:32 PM
Mike really nothing special about turning it. Only thing I would recommend some type of breathing protection when sanding.

Which is ALWAYS good advice regardless of what kind of wood it is.

Toney

Dean Thomas
03-26-2009, 9:01 PM
Toney's right, always a good idea, but when you're dealing with spalted anything, remember that the spalted area is FUNGAL and what you're dealing with is FUNGAL. Spores and rotted wood. It will cause irritation, allergic reactions, and can cause FUNGAL infections if you're prone to infection at all.

Not to scare you off, just don't breathe it.

mike wagoner
03-26-2009, 9:46 PM
Well, I guess I will don a mask and try to turn my first duck call. Thank you all for the advice. Will try to post pics later.
Mike

Burt Alcantara
03-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Mike,
You may want to take a look at David Ellsworth's new book, "Ellsworth on Woodturning." His main preference is spalted maple and he discusses it a lot. A great book.

Burt