PDA

View Full Version : Do you prepare Granite before lasering ?

Andrea Weissenseel
03-26-2009, 1:52 PM
I have some black granite tiles here, and it is polished Hi-Gloss - do I have to prepare them somehow before lasering ?

Andrea

Dan Hintz
03-26-2009, 1:55 PM
You don't have to, but wiping some Armor All on them helps brighten the resulting engraving.

Michael Kowalczyk
03-26-2009, 4:42 PM
Just don't put the Armour All on after you laser because then it darkens it.:eek:.

PS-I have a client that has some some stone protection solutions that I am going to test and see if they help or hinder a lasered stone. Will keep you posted.

Bill Cunningham
03-26-2009, 9:31 PM
Granite has more natural flaws than marble.. Armour All works fine for marble, but when putting it on granite, it will seek out the flaws, soak into them, making them forever visible. Save the Armour All for Marble..

Tim Bateson
03-27-2009, 7:47 AM
I use a stone sealer before and after. It doesn't do anything to enhance the image, but offers long term protection.

Abdul Baseer Hai
03-27-2009, 9:36 AM
I use a stone sealer before and after. It doesn't do anything to enhance the image, but offers long term protection.

Tim
can you attach a name to the sealer you use, the price, and the place to get it.
abdul

Bob Keyes
03-27-2009, 11:53 AM
I do a fair amount of 12 x 12 granite tiles and I don't do anything to it before or after except wipe it off with a dry rag.

Amour All is great for marble, but as has been said sometimes it is detrimental on granite.

Tim Bateson
03-27-2009, 5:11 PM
Abdul, Most hardware stores or stone companies sell the stuff. You'll have to do your homework as there is a lot of variety. I use 511 Impregnator made by Miracle Sealants Company.

I have to credit Jacki McGowan here for the idea. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=103685&highlight=impregnator

Bill Cunningham
03-28-2009, 7:33 PM
I use the home depot stuff.. It's a polymer sold for sealing grout, shower stalls and patio stones.. Just brush it on, let it sit for 15 min. and then wipe of the excess.. Water will bead off it like a duck's back..