PDA

View Full Version : Delta 33-890 12" radial arm

Ron Bontz
03-26-2009, 1:52 PM
Just looking for info. / opinions on the Delta 12" 33-890. Is it a solid saw? No flex etc. Thanks:)

Chip Lindley
03-26-2009, 5:12 PM
Really SOLID saws, Ron! This model has replaceable track rods in the arm which are light-years ahead of the milled grooves in older Rockwell/Delta RASs. An honest 1-1/2hp motor has enough *butt* to crosscut 4/4 hardwood without complaining. The turret-head design is great for miters. The cut line stays near the center of table, instead of off the corner like other RAS designs. If the price is right--GO FOR IT!

Ron Bontz
03-26-2009, 5:20 PM
Thanks Chip. I don't know where I am going to put it, but what the hey. I'll know after the first of the month.

Dave Cav
03-26-2009, 9:40 PM
I just got one a few weeks ago. Used saw, about 20 or so years old. Paid $800 for it and I'm happy with it. Very nice, solid saw. Adjustments are very positive. It's a much better saw than my relatively new Delta Shopmaster 10" RAS. The front height adjustment is worth the price of admission alone.

Dave C

Rick Levine
03-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Chip,

I have the X5 model of that saw and mine is marked as a 2hp motor. If I'm not mistaken all the 33-890 models have that hp. And yes, it is a very good machine. Dave, I'd suggest you get a copy of Jon Eakes "Fine Tuning Your Radial Arm Saw." It was a great help in setting up the accuracy. PM me if you have trouble locating it.

Bruce Wrenn
03-27-2009, 8:45 PM
33-890 also uses 10" blades, with 5'8" arbor hole. Makes it easy to use dado set also. 12" blades require 5/8" X 1" bushing, which is readily available. This is the saw that Norm has on NYW.

Rob Diz
03-29-2009, 1:02 PM
I just moved on into my shop to replace my series 100 Craftsman RAS.

I thought long and hard about it, but I have recently been using a lot of thick rough stock, and the 10 inch saw couldn't keep up.

The saw is a solid piece of american arn. Three guys to get it into my Explorer, two to get it out. I think they weigh 300#.

I got mine from a cabinet shop that was closing down. I was on my way out of town, had $400 cash in my pocket, so that's what I offered. The saw came with me on my business trip.

I did a lot of research. These are solid saws, adn most importantly you can use your existing blades. If you go to a 14 inch saw, you won't be able to use your dado set due to the 1 inch arbor.

Now, does anyone need a Series 100 Craftsman RAS???:D