PDA

View Full Version : An Introduction, and a Question

Bruce Gray
07-22-2004, 5:49 PM
I have been secretly haunting the depths of the Creek for some time now, have learned much, and it's about time that I surface. I feel like a sponge, soaking up all this experience ....maybe I'll be able to contribute as well.

I have been working wood for many years, but recently I have become more focused. My projects have been mainly pieces of furniture for my family, and maybe an occasional toy or puzzle. I have a reasonable selection of tools, but my current project is to do a serious upgrade to my shop: the building is complete, and I expect to be asking for help with the selection of several new tools.

That brings me to the real reason for my belated post: I have been looking at small drum sanders, and the Performax 22-44 Plus has caught my eye. I have noticed that many distributors do not carry this model, and that causes me some concern. Does anyone have any experience with this sander?

Dick Parr
07-22-2004, 7:47 PM
Bruce, I can't answer your question but I can welcome you to the SMC. :D

Greg Heppeard
07-22-2004, 7:57 PM
I don't know the maching personally, but, I can tell you why IMHO most distributors don't carry this item. If they sell the 16-32, the price point is the reason. The 22-44 is a larger machine and takes up more floor space. I manage a retail store and know that anything I have on the floor has to "earn" it's space. If the 22-44 sold as many units as the 16-32, I would stock it in a minute. I do know that WMH tool group (Performax's parent company) stands behind everything they produce, the 22-44 would be no different. If that's the sander you are drooling over--go for it.

BTW...Welcome to the creek...jump in, the water's warm and friendly.

Steve Clardy
07-22-2004, 8:17 PM
Don't have any help on that machine, But Welcome to the Creek!!!
Steve

JayStPeter
07-22-2004, 8:46 PM
Welcome.
The 22-44 plus is pretty new. I would guess that most Performax dealers would sell you one. They probably just haven't updated their catalogs/websites yet.
Early reviews in magazines have good things to say.

Jay

Dick Parr
07-22-2004, 9:56 PM
Isn't the 22-44 what David Marks uses on his show Wood Works?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek, Bruce. Can't help you with your sander question, sorry! Again...........Welcome!