PDA

View Full Version : My client says I like challenges, well here's one!

Rick Gauthier
03-26-2009, 11:45 AM

This is a bath tub he would like me to duplicate in Guanacaste (Central American hardwood). I have located an appropriate tree trunk but have reservations about how serviceable it would be..i.e. effects of water and soap, type of finish, he doesn't want a bright finish as shown in the picture, more of a matte. Looks like a lot of wood removal, carving, any input welcome.
Rick

James Mooney
03-26-2009, 1:00 PM
If it were me, I'd be looking to build a core of shaped laminated sections joined cooper style, a good veneer on the outer faces and plenty of West System or equivalent epoxy

Brett Baldwin
03-26-2009, 1:06 PM
I assume from your tree trunk comment that you are thinking of carving it from a solid piece. I'd be pretty concerned with the movement of a solid piece and its affect on whatever finish you put on it. I'm also assuming it will actually be used. If it just for looks, that's a whole different story, although wood movement as a piece that large dries would have to be substantial.

Phillip Bogle
03-27-2009, 5:26 PM
I live in the Pacific North West. We have a long history of the Native Americans making canoes from cedar trunks. Burning out the centers and using hot rocks, steam, and covers of seaweed to stretch the wood. These held up and some still exist. I am not an expert but I have to wonder if a bathtub isn't anything more than a reversed canoe? Only safer.