PDA

View Full Version : Name that wood

Kirk Miller
03-26-2009, 11:41 AM
I have been out in New Jersey for almost 2 weeks now and have been trying to find a chunk or two of wood to take home with me. I have a few woodpiles scoped out but my girfriend (who gre up in Jersey) had less than complimentary things to say about a late night raid. I awoke this morning to a delightful sound........The roar of a chainsaw trimming trees outside my room. I jumped out of bed got dressed and set out on a mission. Once I found the boss of the crew I got approval to get a few pieces to take home with me. Now I just need to figure out what it is. If I had to offer a guess I would say it was some type of oak. Here is a picture if anyone has a guess I would appreciate it. Iknow the pictures arn't the best but its all I can do right now

Thanks
Kirk

Dick Strauss
03-26-2009, 11:46 AM
It looks like it might be bradford pear.

FYI-Cities planted BP by the thousands in right of ways between the roads and sidewalks.

alex carey
03-26-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't know what it is but I don't think it's Bradford Pear. The bark in bradford pear is darker and larger.

Russ Sears
03-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Hard to tell but it looks almost like Mulberry to me. Are there any leaves available that you can be reasonably sure came from this tree?

Prashun Patel
03-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Looks like the Tree-semme to me... (look carefully at 2nd pic)

Leo Van Der Loo
03-26-2009, 1:19 PM
Looks like a ...........bad picture, hard enough to ID bark with a good picture, won't try a bad one, use a tri-pot next time and good light, that will help a lot.
Then maybe we can tell, rather than just guess :-)

William Bachtel
03-26-2009, 2:15 PM
Yes we need better photos, instead of just pictures. Thanks hope we can help ya.:)

curtis rosche
03-26-2009, 3:39 PM
def, bradford pear. mulberry isnt quite that wet when cut.

Jeff Nicol
03-26-2009, 5:28 PM
I think it is a cherry tree but not sure as in is a small branch. The bark is right and the color is close. But a better picture would do wonders. It could be an oak but go take a picture of the whole tree or one like it near by so we can see the whole thing. Or ask the neighbor what the tree was.

Jeff

Kirk Miller
03-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Thank you for all your input. I was just happy to be taking something home. I don't think it is cherry. I havn't spotted one pit on the ground. It may very well be BP as there are similar trees along the roadway. I will just stick with calling it my Jersey wood. What ever it is I don't think we have it in Alaska, and that was my goal. Bring something different home. I will have to ask around what kind of tree it came from.

Once again Thank you for your insight.

Nathan Hawkes
03-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Hard to tell but it looks almost like Mulberry to me. Are there any leaves available that you can be reasonably sure came from this tree?

Another vote for bradford pear; around here, that's a dead ringer for it; B.P. certainly will darken exactly like the pic of it by another member, but looks just like that when cut.

Mulberry has a very distinctive light white band of sapwood just under the bark; on smaller limbs its much more apparent. Also, in regard to its moisture content, you should see it when cut in the summertime; the heartwood is pretty wet, but the sapwood literally oozes white sap, almost like a rubber tree. I don't know if I still have pics at home, but I took a pic of the dried gunk a few weeks after cutting a large mulberry.

Jarrod McGehee
03-27-2009, 12:41 AM
I had a mulberry tree a while back before my mom cut it down. the fruit was pretty good but the wood has SOOOO much sap. and if only I had been into woodworking a few years earlier :rolleyes:

Russ Sears
03-27-2009, 6:23 AM
The more I look at it the more I think it's Bradford Pear. It's small enough that it hasn't developed the deeply ridged bark. Hopefully someone in the vicinity of the stump knows what it is.

Kirk Miller
03-27-2009, 11:34 AM
After looking at some pics of BP, comparing to what I have, I am convinced it is BP. I am looking forward to getting it home to seal the ends until I can turn It. I have it sealed in a plastic bag to keep it from drying too fast. It sure is heavy for the size. The baggage handlers are going to love me.........LOL:D

Mike Minto
03-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Looks like oak, to me. mike

Burt Alcantara
03-27-2009, 11:56 AM
I've got a lot of branch wood that looks very much like that piece, as far as I can tell. In my case, the wood is Willow. However, I'm on the other side of the country in a completely different climate so tho it looks like Willow it may not be.

Burt

Dan Carroll
03-27-2009, 1:41 PM
Looks a little like the hickory we get around here in Maryland. If the wood is light colored and a pain in the rear to work, you will know it is hickory. Also does it have any smell? Bradford pear smalls like rotten meat when wet, hickory has a sweet smell. However , such small piece and without scale it is really hard to be sure.

Rick Prosser
03-27-2009, 2:12 PM
Another vote for BP, but I could be wrong...:D

David Hullum
03-27-2009, 8:22 PM
Looks like the oaks here in Texas. Bark is a dead give away and that honey color.