PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Slots with a Router

Dan Henry
03-26-2009, 11:11 AM
I am in the process of making the Loose Tennion jig in American Woodworker April/May Issue 141 and have made the slots using my scroll saw and they will work but are not as nice as would like them to be. I have tried to make slots with my router table and do not fell very comfortable doing it and have made slots by making a jig to hold the piece and using a plunge router with a fence. Making a holding jig for every piece seams like over kill.

I drill a hole with the drill press at each end of the slot and cut out between the holes.

Does any one have a good process to cut the slotes with a router either on a table or with a plunge router that is easer and safer that they would share with me ??

Dan

Bill Huber
03-26-2009, 11:31 AM
For me it depends on how large the board is I am putting slots in.

If it is less then say 15 inches I use the router table, if it is over that I use a straight edge and a plunge router.

On the table I set stops on each side of the bit on the fence of the table and lower the board down and then make the cut, half way though. Then do it again to finish.

I don't drill any holes I just plunge the router half way down and then make two passes. I generally put some scrap under the board and clamp everything to the bench so when I make the last cut I don't cut a slot in the bench.

Joe Scharle
03-26-2009, 3:30 PM
Before I got a Woodrat, I used a wood float with carpet tape to hold the workpiece to push the piece on my R/T. I could set fence stops to limit the handle travel because some pieces would hang over both ends of the tabletop.

Doug Shepard
03-26-2009, 4:39 PM
What Bill said except I probably do it in more passes.

Bill Hylton
03-26-2009, 5:07 PM
Here's what I'd suggest you do, Dan. Slot the stop blocks on the router table before you crosscut them to size. In other words, plane a 10" to 12"-long piece of stock to the right thickness. Rip it to the right width. Lay out slots for two router stops. Rout them on the router table in stages, starting with a 1/4" deep cut, then raising the bit and repeating the cuts to make them deeper. Eventually, you'll break through. When the slots are finished, rout the groove for the keys. Then crosscut the two stops from the blank.

The slots in the work rests ought to be done with a plunge router and edge guide.

I'll suggest some setups a little later. Just got called to supper. I know what we're having, and I don't want it to get cold.

Bill

Peter Quinn
03-26-2009, 6:24 PM
I'd use either a plunge router with a guide or my router table with stops on the fence. Having a good lift takes most of the fear out of it. Not all, but most.

I'd also start not with small parts but with reasonable sized sheets or wider stock if solid wood. Much easier to handle and control. Put the slots where you want them after laying out the parts you need carefully, then rip and cross cut the smaller parts from these with the slots already prepared. If sheet goods like mdf with repeating depths from edge you can often set one edge guide up for multiples to speed things along.