PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi jointer/planer, Model # F1000A

Roy Jensen
03-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Hi All,
I'm a newbie and have been lurking around this site for a while. I've come across a positing on the local CL for a Hitachi jointer/planer, Model # F1000A for $800. I have read some good feedback on this machine on other threads. Is this a good deal? Is their anythinig in particular to this machine I should be concerned about or look for? Having a small shop space, this looks like it would be a good tool to meet my needs.

Thanks for your wisdom :)

Thomas S Stockton
03-26-2009, 12:09 PM
$800 is a little steep but not horrible depending on condition. Most I see go for between $500 and $750.
I've had one for about 23 years and they are fairly rugged tools. Most the parts that wear out are available from Hitachi or off the shelf at a tool repair place. The most common part to go is the on/off switch the last one I got was for a Delta tool and it is the same switch except it has double poles so I ended up doing a simple mod to the wiring and used both poles and the switch has lasted for years. The other things I have replaced are the brushes and bearings in the cutterheads and the motor, all were really easy to do and I make furniture for a living so it has been used fairly heavy. The other thing that goes bad is the belts that run the cutterheads, the only reason these wear is because it is easy to not unlock the cutterhead after changing the blades and the motor will burn through the belt if you don't turn it off very quickly. They also don't seem to have the problem of the feed rollers turning gummy like the Makita version does.
A set of planer blades is about $75 from Amazon and they can be re-sharpened many times. The planer produces a very nice finish. Knife changes are easy and take about 10 minutes or less, the cutterhead is spring loaded and it should have a knife setting jig, if not they would be easy to make.
The only drawback is that they are loud, but I just wear headphones and don't worry about it.
Tom

Thomas S Stockton
03-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Just found the ad looks in great shape the the carbide knives are over $400 for a set, I don't know how they work I've always used steel.
Tom

Roy Jensen
03-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for your feedback Thomas. I think it would work nicely for my needs...now I just need to see if I can put the funds together :rolleyes:

Richard McComas
03-26-2009, 1:27 PM
This is a copy and paste from another forum. May or may not be of use to you but thought I'd post it anyway.

''The tool was discontinued in 1996 and Hitachi only carries parts for 7 years after a tool has been discontinued. At that seven year mark Hitachi lets the parts sell out and does not produce any more after that, unless the parts are being use in another tool. The F1000A is one of the best tools made by Hitachi''.

tom walsh
02-09-2010, 2:08 PM
Does anyone have any experience with changing the drive belts on the hitachi F1000a. The belts are quite scarce and I can't mess it up.
Thanks Tom

peter viala
06-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has a supplier for these belts? Hitachi in Canada has discontinued the item. I just picked up a machine for $200.00 but I only have a belt for the planer side. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Peter