PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid/Steel City association?

Brett Robson
03-26-2009, 9:59 AM
In looking around at the current batch of lunchbox type planers, I noticed the Steel City planer w/the helical head looks exactly like my older Ridgid model TP1300!

It got me wondering about the association the two companies have. I've seen the new Ridgid 4511 table saw that has a granite top and from what I've read is manufactured under license by Steel City (or something to that effect). It seems these planers are another example of some sort of partnership.

Nothing bad about a partnership in my opinion, I have many Ridgid tools and also a few Steel City and think highly of both brands. Just food for thought...

Eric Roberge
03-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Funny that you bring this up. When I attended the WW show last weekend, I noticed the same thing about the planers. I asked, but the rep didn't have a good answer for me.:rolleyes:

Though I do not currently own any SC tools, I agree with you. I have respect for both companies.

Brent Leonard
03-28-2009, 11:22 PM
I noticed to same thing when I saw the new steel city planer in a magazine I just recieved.... did a search on the site here and found this thread.

Obviously someone else noticed too but no first hand knowledge of whether the companies are actually one under a larger umbrella, like Delta/Porter Cable.