PDA

View Full Version : General jig question

Jerome Hanby
03-26-2009, 8:58 AM
On a given gizmo that slides back and forth by pushing and pulling a smooth steel rod through a wooden hole, are there any special things to do to the inside of the wooden hole? I figured wax would keep things moving, but was curious of there was something that could "harden" the walls of the hole (or if that was even necessary).

This particular project is a wooden face vise with a wooden screw and two guide rods set slightly above the screw (to protect the screw as well as guide the vise).

Larry Fox
03-26-2009, 9:08 AM
I would consider putting a bushing in the hole instead of having the rod glide agsinst the wood.

Jerome Hanby
03-26-2009, 9:38 AM
You know, that is a better idea. I've got some brass stock I can drill, polish, and epoxy or press into the back plate. Thanks for the idea!

Jim Heffner
03-26-2009, 12:57 PM
If you want that steel rod to slide in and out easier and smoother, install a brass or copper bushing into the hole. I would make one slightly longer than the hole, and flare both ends of it to prevent it from sliding in and out. It will stay in place and with a small amount of grease, will last for years and years of use.

Bill Huber
03-26-2009, 1:40 PM
Not sure what size the rod is but my local Ace Hardware has a lot of nice nylon bushings in many different sizes.

Jerome Hanby
03-26-2009, 2:09 PM
If you want that steel rod to slide in and out easier and smoother, install a brass or copper bushing into the hole. I would make one slightly longer than the hole, and flare both ends of it to prevent it from sliding in and out. It will stay in place and with a small amount of grease, will last for years and years of use.

The flaring sounds like a good idea. I suppose there is a flaring tool out there somewhere. Seems like I had one for copper pipe in some refrigeration kit I had once. Is there something I'm likely to have around the shop that IO could cobble together to do the flaring?

Bruce Wrenn
03-26-2009, 8:35 PM
Enco (use-enco.com) stocks bronze bushings with flanges. I use them for pivot points in my flip top tool stands.

Jerome Hanby
03-27-2009, 9:25 AM
Enco (use-enco.com) stocks bronze bushings with flanges. I use them for pivot points in my flip top tool stands.
Cheap too, $1.00 - $1.06 apiece!. Thanks

Jerome Hanby
04-01-2009, 12:43 PM
What about UHMW (http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=124228&FamilyID=897)? Would that be tough enough to stand up day to day sliding back and forth of a steel guide rod (about 1" diameter") in a shop built vise? Seems like the UHMW (http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=124228&FamilyID=897) would be "self-lubricating" and not present any oil or grease to get on wood being clamped...

pat warner
04-01-2009, 1:45 PM
Best slip/slide in wood occurs when the length of the whole is such that the rod is well supported with respect to its slop/fit.
So some testing might be called for for best guide/slip/slop.
To be sure, wax and even motor oil in the hole will aid & abet slip, given the right length for the job at hand.