PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0691 vs G0651

Chris Allen
03-26-2009, 7:31 AM
Can anyone tell me the main differences between these saws? I can see a difference in color, obviously. And the 651 has a outfeed table. What else sets these two saws apart?

Thanks.

Prashun Patel
03-26-2009, 8:22 AM
It's hard to tell from the descrip. You should call them.

The 651 has a digital bevel gauge.

Oddly, the ship weight of the 691 is 100lbs more than the 651, but it's cheaper...

Jim O'Dell
03-26-2009, 9:01 AM
I think the trunnion set up is totally different. You might try down loading the manual for the 651 and see if there is a better picture in it of the trunnion. But I seem to remember that the 651 travels straight up and down, where the 691 swings in an arc like the 1023, and other Unisaw clones. Don't have a clue which one is better, or which one would require more or less maintenance to keep it working properly. Jim.

edit: Well, I was partially wrong above, it does still look like it travels in an arc for the tilt, but it looks to ride 2 stainless steel rods for the up and down movement. There isn't a great picture of the trunnion set up, but on page 49 it does show a little bit when talking about the motor and the belts, and the SS posts can be seen on page 50. It uses a serpentine type fan belt instead of the 3 or 4 V belts. Both sets of the trunnion mount legs are fairly close together (page 54) instead of spread out the full length of the cabinet like the 691 and 1023 are. Close like the PM66 is. I'd think that the farther they are spread out, the more stable the trunnion would be, but I've never heard anyone with a PM66 complain. ;) The 90* stop adjustment is a piece welded to the cabinet instead of being part of the trunnion. The saw still looks plenty beefy, not sure why it would weigh less. :confused: Jim.