PDA

View Full Version : The day was saved

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
07-22-2004, 5:12 PM
I have an older Bosch ROS which takes hook and loop disks. I learned soon after buying
the sander that the pads with the hooks wore out kind of frequently and were expensive to
replace. Then Woodworker’s Supply came out with a kit containing a couple of sheets of
self stick hook material which was enough for at least eight replacements. One just
sanded the old hooks on the pad smooth and then stuck on the new hook material.
Worked great. In fact the replacement wore much longer than a new replacement pad.
For several months I noticed that the stickem on the pad was wearing out and the hook
material was coming loose. Knowing I had replacement material I just let it go thinking
that when it did let loose I would just make another disk to replace the one wearing out.
Yesterday I had a helper sanding the lids for the upstairs window seats and he came to me
with the old hook disk in his hand. No problem. We’ll just make another disk. I started
into the empty shop and then remembered; I had forgotten to remove the sheets of hook
material from the drawer and they were sold at the auction. Arrrggghhh. I really wanted
those lids finished that day. So we began exploring our options and then I remembered
the double faced tape that I used for the lathe. I had my helper sand the bottom of the pad
smooth while I began applying the tape to the stickem side of the disk of hook material.
In just a couple of minutes we had the hook material back on the pad and a sanding disk
stuck to it and were back in business again. He finished sanding the lids and the tape
shows no sign of loosening. Of course I still would like to have those sheets of hook
material, but for the moment the sun is shining and all is right with the

Carl Eyman
07-22-2004, 5:31 PM
I do like stories with happy endings.

Jerry Olexa
07-22-2004, 6:43 PM
Good ingenuity!! Good Job Jery

Steve Clardy
07-22-2004, 8:26 PM
to sand off the remaining stickers for the hook and loop, and just use self-stick psa sanding discs. Thats all I use, psa. Hook and loop are too high priced I feel. You can buy a box of 100 psa for almost the cost of 50 H&L.
I found this little trick out when I needed a new pad for a makita. All I had was a H&L pad, and a new psa pad was $25.00 plus shipping. Being the tightwad I am at times, I played with it and it is still ticking.:)
Steve