PDA

View Full Version : Segmented egg problem

Brian Brown
03-25-2009, 11:54 PM
So our clubs challenge this month is eggs. I tried making a segmented egg, and have had a problem with sanding. The egg feels perfectly smooth when I finish sanding (6oo grit,) but after putting finish on ( I have tried tung oil finish and lacquer) the grain on the endgrain portions appears to raise. The finishes are not water base. Why does the grain stand up when it has finish applied. It really ruins a turning I am other wise happy with. :mad:

Dick Sowa
03-26-2009, 6:20 AM
I've seen the same thing happen to my bowls too. So if I want a film finish, I nearly always apply a sanding sealer, then sand through the finer grits again. If I apply a penetrating oil, I usually will sand the oiled surface with wet/dry sandpaper prior to wiping off the excess.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2009, 9:31 AM
Brian - did you reverse the direction of the lathe when finish sanding? When sanding a lot of times you will have wood fibers that will bend instead of getting cut. When you reverse the direction of the lathe - it allows the sand paper to lift those fibers and cut cleanly. Makes a huge difference in feel!

Don Orr
03-26-2009, 9:31 AM
Try also sanding in the opposite direction ( reverse if you have it, rotate by hand if not) and knock down those last few fibers. Common problem.

alex carey
03-26-2009, 12:53 PM
I usually reverse the direction with every new grit.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-26-2009, 1:15 PM
End-grain fibers will swell when using a finish that is absorbed some, (water or other), let the wood/finish dry, then knock the fibers down with a fine paper, like 320 grit or so, then put one more coat over that and you'll have a smooth finish, at least I have :D

Brian Brown
03-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Been outa town for a few days, so I'm slow responding to this. If my lathe doesn't have reverse, is hand sanding the only way to clean this up?