PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen cabinet end panels with levelers

Roger Jensen
03-25-2009, 11:16 PM
I am planning to use leg levelers under my kitchen cabinets. I'm clear on the fronts, as they'll be recessed from the front of the cabinets and I'll attach a kick plate to the levelers. However, what should I do on the ends? I'm planning on putting in raised panels on the sides to match the front doors, but what should I do on the bottom? Should the side panels go to the floor or should they also be recessed and have a kick plate?

Let me know if this isn't clear and I can work up a drawing.

Thanks,

Roger

David DeCristoforo
03-25-2009, 11:38 PM
I have always recessed the finished end toe kicks to match the faces. That means holding the leg back from the end the same distance as the face. Some people like the ends to be recessed less than the face. It's really a matter of preference.

David Giles
03-26-2009, 9:09 AM
In general, anywhere that a person would normally stand would have a recessed kickplate. That said, my center island has one recessed front side and three sides that go to the floor. It was a PITA to make the side panel match the front recess opening. One long cabinet sticks into the kitchen. It has a recessed end panel and non-recessed back side.

The recessed end panels look better because the horizontal lines match the other panels / doors in the cabinet set.

To attach the kickplates, miter both ends, add a little glue and three brads. Not that anyone would see it if you just stuck them on there.

Roger Jensen
03-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks. I'm looking at Blum and Hafele levelers. Do you guys have a preference?

Roger

Chris Padilla
03-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Post #59 in my Tansu (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=92396) project has some cabinet levelers that I got from Lee Valley. Is that what you are thinking about using? They are working just perfect for my cabinet.

Roger Jensen
03-26-2009, 11:40 AM
They are designed for kitchen cabinets and are hidden behind a kick plate. It looks like yours are the ones that go into a solid leg (I have also used the Lee Valley models).

These are the Blum models: http://www.amazon.com/Blum-Leg-Levelers/dp/B0006HF9J4.

Thanks,

Roger

Chris Padilla
03-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Roger,

I dunno, this is what I got from Lee Valley: Cabinet Leveler Bracket (and threaded leg post) (http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=40932&cat=3,41306,41308) I got the corner bracket (B) and then 2" Swivel Leveller (http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=40045&cat=3,41306,41308). They work very nicely.

Roger Jensen
03-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Different products. The kitchen levelers can be adjusted from the inside of the cabinet, which is required for legs in the back of the cabinet. Plus, the Blum units have clips you attach to the kick plate so you can attach the kickplate to the legs (and pop them off for installing wiring/plumbing/etc.)

David Giles
03-27-2009, 8:00 AM
Roger, I used the plastic levelers from Custom Service Hardware. They were around $1.25 each. Always just tossed the steel bolt part, it was easier to just reach underneath and adjust the leg by hand. Gives a better feel on keeping equal weight per leg.

That said, the easiest way to mount a base cabinet along a wall is to install a ledger board along the wall and set the cabinet back onto the ledger board. Now the backs are guaranteed to be level. Only install the leg levelers along the front edge for adjustment and to hold the kick plate.

It's worth the time to make a real simple jig to install the leg levelers. Just a piece of wood to establish the correct distance from the cabinet edge. It keeps the distance the same, whether it's exactly what you designed or not.

Roger Jensen
03-28-2009, 1:53 PM
David,

How close to the edge did you put your levelers? Since the edge of the bottom bears a lot of weight from the sides I don't want them too far in from the edge.

I have seen other folks recommend only putting the levelers on the front and hanging them on the back wall. The only complication is if you have a "wavy" wall that makes it difficult to hang them. I'll have to see how mine look.

Thanks,

Roger

Larry Edgerton
03-28-2009, 4:28 PM
I use the ones from Hardware Concepts in Florida. I bought one of each and settled on them, but there could be one better as I am still using a two year old order. They are plastic, adjust from inside and the clips don't break when you snap them on.

On the end panels, if there is traffic there I set them back the same as the face, if not I set them back 1" just so it has depth.