PDA

View Full Version : $700 W&H molder?

Glen Butler
03-25-2009, 8:36 PM
Ok it is not a W&H, it is a shop fox. But it is an exact replica and all the parts are interchangable and I can use W&H knives in it.

Does $700 sound like a good deal for a unit with a few months of use?

Mark Bolton
03-25-2009, 9:02 PM
Ok it is not a W&H, it is a shop fox. But it is an exact replica and all the parts are interchangable and I can use W&H knives in it.

Does $700 sound like a good deal for a unit with a few months of use?

We just bout a used W&H (the real deal) on a nice three roller stand, with about 12 sets of knives and beds, straight, reeding, fluting, 2 crowns, several others. We gave 1200.00 for it.

Mark

Peter Quinn
03-25-2009, 9:19 PM
I paid $500 from Grizzly for a shop fox molder in November when they were closing it out to make way for the new version. Works well. I have used a real W&H, functionally the shop fox is the same unit and of similar build quality, though i have not put enough hours on it to determine its longevity. The devil is often in the details.

Glen Butler
03-25-2009, 10:43 PM
I am having a hard time finding any information out on this particular model. My dealer said it was discontinued but that is was pretty much exactly like the W&H. Anyone know what the Shop Fox went for new? And don't give me the MSRP.

abram godshall
03-26-2009, 6:36 AM
i am assuming it is the discontinued version from last year. i found one at the utter guys last year (grizzly had sold out by then) and paid 818 (i think shipping was 68 so 750 for the piece).

Trace Beard
03-26-2009, 8:57 AM
I have the SF molder w/ variable speed. I've run a couple thousand feet through it and the only problem was a set screw for the feeder came loose and nicked the knives. My largest project was making 6" wide #117 pine siding for a large addition in a historical neighborhood. I cut the profile in 2 cuts and finish cut was outstanding, hardly any chatter marks.

The SF works like a champ. I don't feel like I would have gained much or anything at all if I spent 1k or more and got the W&H.

William M Johnson
03-26-2009, 9:41 AM
I also have the Shop Fox Molder and am very pleased with it. I have run thousands of feet of mahogony baseboard, casing and 5" crown molding. Mine is the Variable Speed. I think I paid about $1000 for it this summer. That price included VS drive, cabinet and motor. I added up a W&H with the same equipment and it came in at close to $4000.

The new Shop Fox and W&H both appear to have a couple of advanteges. Longer bed and what appear to be T-nut slots to hold the guides. Although the C-clamps work OK they just seem like a Mickey Mouse way to do things.

2 changes - Throw away the cheap cast C-clamps that come with it. They will break. I also made a new set of guides out of steel (although Aluminum would be better)

Great value paid for itself many times over.

Bill

Glen Butler
03-28-2009, 10:34 PM
How necessary is the variable speed? It seems like a great thing to have.

Dave Bureau
03-29-2009, 8:08 AM
I have a WH and I think the v speed is a must have. Slow that thing down on the last cut and it comes out like glass.