PDA

View Full Version : Stupid move of the day.....

Chris Allen
03-25-2009, 8:00 PM
Okay, thought I would share my stupidity with the world.

I was cutting down a piece of 1/2" ply. Had it sitting on top of my table saw. Was using my circ saw. Not paying close enough attention. I saw sparks. This can't be good. Cut about a 1/2 inch off the end of my aluminum rear rail for my TS. :( My Diablo blade sliced right through it like butter.

The sparks came from the tip of the screw holding the end cap on the rail. Luckily it was a small enough amount of rail not to matter, and it was nearly a perfectly square cut. Not noticeable unless you were looking for it.

That's all.

Norm Koerner
03-25-2009, 8:20 PM
Stuff happens. And some of us are just luckier than others.

Paul Ryan
03-25-2009, 8:22 PM
Don't feel bad chris. I did that about 5 years ago on a cheap craftsman table saw I had. This saw had aluminum wings that pulled out. I cut about 1/3 through one of the wings before I realized it. The circular saw I was using didn't bat and eye either.

Norm I wonder how long until the mods catch that 1st word. 1 1 thousand, 2 1 thousand, 3 1 thousand

Chris Allen
03-26-2009, 7:06 AM
Thanks mods ;)

Paul,
Yes, my circ saw didn't have any problems with it. It went through the aluminum just as easy as the ply I was intending to cut.

Tony De Masi
03-26-2009, 8:09 AM
Chris, in keeping with the tradition of the Creek, if you don't have pictures then I guess it didn't happen.:D

Tony

Chris Allen
03-26-2009, 8:22 AM
Tony,
That's fine with me. We'll all just pretend it didn't happen ;)

David Keller NC
03-26-2009, 9:41 AM
Hey - Don't feel bad at all. Anytime you make a mistake with a power saw and still have all 10 fingers, it's a good day.

Greg Narozniak
03-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Did the same thing to one of my Roller Stands. It happens

Eric Roberge
03-26-2009, 11:04 AM
I would have been even more impressed with that Diablo blade if it cut your cast iron top like butter...:D

Bob Genovesi
03-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Chris,

Didn't you say that rail was a bit too long and you've been meaning to trim it? :D :D ;)

Good blade though!

Jim Kountz
03-26-2009, 1:43 PM
I have one of my Dewalt sliders on one of those SUV carts and a few years ago I cut right through one of the support rollers. Sure gets ones attention when the sparks start flying doesnt it!!
I also have more than one saw with a "repaired" cord on it from where someone cut through it.

Eric Roberge
03-26-2009, 1:56 PM
I also have more than one saw with a "repaired" cord on it from where someone cut through it.

Someone JIM????? ;)

Jim Kountz
03-26-2009, 8:23 PM
Someone JIM????? ;)

I know!! Can you believe it?? Someone would cut through a cord like that?? :D:D:D:D

Kelly C. Hanna
03-26-2009, 8:45 PM
I love Diablo blades...sorry you cut your TS, but much better than your hand or finger!!

Dewey Torres
03-26-2009, 9:32 PM
You are lucky it didn't kick back on you. I had that happen once with an embedded screw in a piece of plywood and got hit in the side of my waste. I would have lost my fingers if I hadn't been pushing correctly.

Richard Wagner
03-27-2009, 7:54 AM
Okay, thought I would share my stupidity with the world.

I was cutting down a piece of 1/2" ply. Had it sitting on top of my table saw. Was using my circ saw. Not paying close enough attention. I saw sparks. This can't be good. Cut about a 1/2 inch off the end of my aluminum rear rail for my TS. :( My Diablo blade sliced right through it like butter.

The sparks came from the tip of the screw holding the end cap on the rail. Luckily it was a small enough amount of rail not to matter, and it was nearly a perfectly square cut. Not noticeable unless you were looking for it.

That's all.

This is very interesting to me, though I really don't want to highjack the thread. I didn't know that you could cut aluminum with a typical table saw blade.

Wes Grass
03-27-2009, 2:31 PM
Knocking the corners off a benchtop, 3 layers of 3/4 ply, I cut right through a #12 x 1-3/4 steel wood screw lengthwise with a circular saw. Made a perfect section of it. Didn't seem to hurt the blade a bit. Sat on my desk for years as a reminder to check things ... but mostly because it looked cool.

glenn bradley
03-27-2009, 2:56 PM
I just realized this could become a sticky for all to enjoy and humble themselves.

Glenn's entry for this morning (I still have the afternoon left to mess something else up); I was making offset mortises with my MP and mis-marked a piece. The mortise is offset the wrong way and I have a brand new piece of scrap. Of course the piece was scrap when I selected it for this project . . . . hmmm so what is it now!?!

Hans Braul
03-27-2009, 5:17 PM
Years ago, I was "helping" a friend build a large covered patio and complete a major renovation of his cottage. The 8' saw kerf in the beautiful wood floor of the covered patio will stand as a testament to my stupidity as long as the floor lasts. Used a 2x4 to support a sheet of plywood while cutting and thought I had plenty of clearance. I was wrong. OOOPS!

Cheers
Hans