PDA

View Full Version : Buffer and Honing Question

Steve Mellott
03-25-2009, 7:45 PM
If you were going to buy a pedestal grinder and dedicate it to a buffing and honing station, would you buy a 6" or 8" grinder? Would you want a 1750 or 3500 rpm grinder? Would it really matter? Is there anything else I should consider? Thanks.

David Walser
03-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Steve,

The buffing wheels I bought came with a recommendation to run at about 1,700 RPM, so I think I'd go for the slow speed grinder. The wheels are 8", so I'd go with the 8" grinder.

That's ALL the thought I've put into the question.

Good luck.

robert hainstock
03-26-2009, 6:42 AM
I prefer the slow speed machines for wood, and the Hi speed for metal. FWIW! :)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2009, 7:27 AM
Steve - I started with a 6" high-speed grinder and then moved up to the 8" slow-speed. It was a good decision and I have been very happy with my sharpening results since then. Grinding wheels give you a hollow grind edge but the bigger the wheel - the less pronounced the hollow grind will be. Also, the slower the speed when grinding - the less metal taken off per pass.

Mike Peace
03-26-2009, 9:19 AM
Steve, The Beall company recommends 1725 for their 8" buffing system. I find that I run a little slower. They have full documentation on their site.
http://www.bealltool.com/

Dean Thomas
03-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Taking Steve's logic to its buffing conclusion, the larger wheels provide the chance that you'd actually have more of the buffing wheel in contact with the piece you're working on. Larger buffs, shallower arc, more contact?

And just for grins, I did a little math. It's that surface feet per minute thing. A 6" buff at 3450rpm produces about 5420 sfpm of contact, but the 8" buff at 1725rpm produces about 3613. If the motor is variable, you obviously have the option of speeding the motor to produce an equal number of sfpm, but I think you'll find that you have a touch more control with the reduced speed and larger wheels.

Don Carter
03-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Steve:
I found a two speed 8" grinder at a local discount tool store. I think it is 1720 and 3400. I did not expect much from it, but it has worked very well. I do all my buffing on it with one tripoli wheel and one white diamond wheel. I mounted it on a cheap pedestal from Harbor Freight. It actually seems smoother than my Delta grinder.

All the best.

Don

Steve Mellott
03-26-2009, 4:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies.