PDA

View Full Version : Vega 2413

Paul Rains
03-25-2009, 7:14 PM
Anyone have any knowledge about this lathe as a bowl turning lathe? Bench top model with 1HP, 24 inch swing over short bed. $1300

alex carey
03-25-2009, 8:20 PM
I haven't heard anything particularly bad about this lathe, not good though. Actually now that I think of it I haven't heard anything about this lathe at all.

It has 8 speeds and lowest speed is 200. That might be alright if you can bolt it down to something really big and heavy. No coring which kind of sucks for bowl. It has 24" capabilities but I can't imagine actually putting something on there that's over 80#. Just seems a bit small but I haven't used it so I don't know for sure.

Alex

Alan Trout
03-25-2009, 8:39 PM
I think I read a deal where Bill Grumbine did a demo with one and spoke pretty highly of it. He does own the 26" model of the Vega as well. You might want to send him a e-mail and ask him about it.

Sean Ackerman NY
03-26-2009, 9:28 AM
Gentleman, believe it or not I sell other lathes than the 3520b, Vega being one of them. My rep gave me a walk through on their larger unit with a duplicator about 5 months ago and it blew my mind... the quality was bar none.

Here are his notes on the 2413:
This is a new model recently released by Vega and is 100% made in USA.
It is a 24" capacity machine with hight torque for large turnings at a small price.
Some years ago Vega manufactured a light duty similar model in that it also had 8 speeds, but no tail stock.

This unit, while it may look similar, is completely redesigned to accommodate the removable tailstock. It also features a beefed up: 1-1/4 8TPI Spindle system, Bed and Tool Rest.

With the tailstock removed any turner will enjoy unrestricted access to the the bed and being able to get close to the turning.

It is designed to be bolted to a bench or home built base. This allows the user to set the height to a comfortable level ( typically spindle at elbow) and weight the base for unbalanced turnings.

Hope that helps. We've only sold a few Vegas so far but I have wonderful support as my Vega rep is also my Kreg, Snappy and a rep for countless other manufacturers. He's a wonderful guy and really knows his stuff. Let me know if I can be of any help. I've heard of some support issues and rumbling and grumbling on other forums in regards to Vega support...this should solve all those issues, he really is a great guy.

Lastly, how many guys would be able to make it to Westchester, NY for a turning night on a Vega? Would love to host you guys and do a food and wine and turning evening! lol Let me know and I'll make it happen, just need to make sure the interest is there.

Paul Rains
03-26-2009, 7:12 PM
I have emailed Bill, I have his DVD, very good and humorous. Hopefully he will get back with me soon, I am without a lathe and having DTs.:eek:
I loaned my midi and tools to my retired father to learn to turn on, and hopefully find a new hobby.

John Shuk
03-27-2009, 8:52 AM
Gentleman, believe it or not I sell other lathes than the 3520b, Vega being one of them. My rep gave me a walk through on their larger unit with a duplicator about 5 months ago and it blew my mind... the quality was bar none.

Here are his notes on the 2413:
This is a new model recently released by Vega and is 100% made in USA.
It is a 24" capacity machine with hight torque for large turnings at a small price.
Some years ago Vega manufactured a light duty similar model in that it also had 8 speeds, but no tail stock.

This unit, while it may look similar, is completely redesigned to accommodate the removable tailstock. It also features a beefed up: 1-1/4 8TPI Spindle system, Bed and Tool Rest.

With the tailstock removed any turner will enjoy unrestricted access to the the bed and being able to get close to the turning.

It is designed to be bolted to a bench or home built base. This allows the user to set the height to a comfortable level ( typically spindle at elbow) and weight the base for unbalanced turnings.

Hope that helps. We've only sold a few Vegas so far but I have wonderful support as my Vega rep is also my Kreg, Snappy and a rep for countless other manufacturers. He's a wonderful guy and really knows his stuff. Let me know if I can be of any help. I've heard of some support issues and rumbling and grumbling on other forums in regards to Vega support...this should solve all those issues, he really is a great guy.

Lastly, how many guys would be able to make it to Westchester, NY for a turning night on a Vega? Would love to host you guys and do a food and wine and turning evening! lol Let me know and I'll make it happen, just need to make sure the interest is there.

Sean Check your PMs.

Reed Gray
03-27-2009, 12:14 PM
I haven't turned on one, or even seen one that I know of. I would think that the 1 hp is a bit minimal, especially if you are going to go over 14 inch diameter bowls. For power, I prefer 2 hp minimum and a 3 phase motor with a converter. With 8 pulleys and a minimum speed of 200 rpm, that should get you through most bowls. The 200 rpm isn't a good speed for coring. I prefer to be in the 600 and above range. If it has a bed that a banjo goes on, you can core with it. Maybe not with the Woodcut, but the Oneway and the McNaughton should do fine.
robo hippy