PDA

View Full Version : Video experiment

Bob Hamilton
03-25-2009, 4:08 PM
Hi:
I just put up a video on YouTube about turning a small winged box like these:

http://www.bobhamswwing.com/justpics/2009/march/100_9612-800.jpg

It is definitely an amateur production. :) I am definitely more articulate on a keyboard rather than verbally. The video is made up of 9 segments and runs just over an hour all together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUeByxpbB9M

Let me know what you think.

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
03-25-2009, 4:48 PM
Bob - just got done watching all of the video and have to say that you did a great job! Nice video work! Great layout of the step by step procedures! I appreciate the time this must have taken you! Thanks - very well done!

Tony De Masi
03-25-2009, 5:09 PM
Bob, very well done. I hope you get paid as the actor, director and producer for that one. I appreciate the work you put into this too.

Tony

Gordon Thompson
03-25-2009, 5:36 PM
awesome!! Thanks for making and posting this!

Don Carter
03-25-2009, 5:52 PM
Bob:
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to put this up. I really enjoyed it and I learned a bunch.
I put up a picture of a bowl today and after watching your video, I feel sort of lame.;)
Thanks again, great job.

All the best.

Don

Jack Mincey
03-25-2009, 6:22 PM
Bob,
Great looking boxes. I also want to thank you for putting the video's up for us to watch. They are great and I will have to try one of these boxes down the road now.
Thanks,
Jack

Mike Stephens
03-25-2009, 6:45 PM
Bob thank you that was just awesome.

I know it most have been a ton of work but I would love to see more.

Again thank you,
Mike

Chris Tedford
03-25-2009, 6:52 PM
All I could think about while watching the videos was "I want to make one of these". Alas, after only three bowls I don't think I'm quite ready, but will probably still try anyway. I'm a glutton for punishment that way.:) Thanks for the tutorial.

Chris

Clarence Sears
03-25-2009, 8:21 PM
Very, very nice, Bob. I don't know that I'd be real crazy about sticking my fingers into a moving workpiece like that but notwithstanding, an extremely educational video. Thanks for posting.

Brian Effinger
03-25-2009, 8:23 PM
Great video tutorial, Bob. I think it was well thought out and executed. Good job, and beautiful bowls. :)

alex carey
03-25-2009, 8:26 PM
Great tutorial videos. I watched them all, you are a great teacher.

David Drickhamer
03-25-2009, 9:08 PM
Great job Bob. Thanks for sharing. Now you'll have to excuse me, I feel a need to go to the shop.;)
Dave

Jim Glock
03-25-2009, 9:13 PM
Excellent series of videos. Thank you for the time and effort on making these available for us. That is a 'first on the list' project for me. Thanks again. jim

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Bob the video is awesome and the pieces are beautiful. Well done.

Steve Mawson
03-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Very enjoyable, a good learning tool. Thanks for producing. Winged boxes look great as well.

Bill Bolen
03-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Superb video's Bob. Your hard work producing them is greatly appreciated...Bill...

David Walser
03-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Bob,

Like everyone else it seems, I want to thank you for the tutorial. It was enjoyable and informative. Thank you.

Jeff Nicol
03-26-2009, 6:03 AM
Bob, I am in agreement with the others, you did a fine job! I have a couple videos on my website but not that good yet! Hope to do more soon. You are great inspiration.

Jeff

Ken Higginbotham
03-26-2009, 6:15 AM
Wow, that thing is really spinning fast! Have you ever had anything blow apart? What's the advantage to going fast vs slower?

Edit: If I did my math correctly, based on the work piece being 8" long, the end is humming along at around 75mph - ?

Steve Frederick
03-26-2009, 6:54 AM
I checked it out yesterday..twice!
Very clearly recorded. The tutorial was great also!
I have it book marked. Thanks for doing it!

Rex Guinn
03-26-2009, 6:59 AM
Bob great videos, I commented on youtube, but this may be a better place. I see you use a Nova DVR and it looks like you use a Oneway banjo and toolrest. Does it work without modifications? I was thinking of the DVR on sale this month at WOODCRAFT.
Would you buy it again?
Thanks

Chris Barnett
03-26-2009, 7:10 AM
Sounds like a spinning prop :D; very nice video accomplishment and well done. Hope it is still there when I am ready to tackle that. But, is it possible to copy to a DVD for later use?

ROY DICK
03-26-2009, 8:58 AM
Experiment? Experiment??
Wow! Bob, standing ovation to you for an excellent tutorial.
This is another fine example that puts other wood forums to shame.
Thank you very much for sharing this.

Roy

Mark Hix
03-26-2009, 9:00 AM
Great video. My wife saw me watching and added one to my list.

steven carter
03-26-2009, 9:27 AM
Great job Bob, I am sure that everyone who watches it will learn something.

Steve

Jeff Paxton
03-26-2009, 9:44 AM
Bob,

That was an excellent video. I have purchased several DVD's, and yours is right up there with them, even quite better than some with your explanation and instruction. The camera work and angles was very good as well. I too am amazed at how fast you had that spinning, beyond my comfort level at this point. Thanks again for all the work, it really is a super video.

Jeff

Kirk Miller
03-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Bob,
Thank you for taking the time to produce that Video. I am sure it took a bit of time to get it done. Your efforts are appreciated very much. I am inspired to go home and try one now.........:D

Bob Hamilton
03-26-2009, 3:46 PM
Thanks, everyone! I have to leave for work very soon (night shift) so I don't have time to answer fully.

The first few of these winged boxes that I turned were larger and I was turning them at 1500 rpm. On another forum someone had just attended a demo by Jimmy Clewes where he turned one and was complaining the the top speed of the demo lathe was only 3200 rpm. When I turned my first "miniature" version: http://www.bobhamswwing.com/justpics/2009/march/100_9596-800.jpg

I decided to try turning at the higher speed to see if it made a difference, figuring the blank was light enough that it wouldn't get out of hand. It does help on the interrupted cuts to be turning faster.

The Oneway banjo was a bit difficult to fit on the DVR because the retaining nut for the clamp block under the bed sticks down too far and catches on the cross webs. I took the clamp block to a machine shop and had it counterbored so the nut is mostly recessed into the block. I still had to use an angle grinder to knock off some corners on the lathe cross webs but it works great now.

I will try to respond more fully once I finish this set of night shifts.

Take care
Bob

Allen Neighbors
03-26-2009, 4:17 PM
Hey, Bob! I just watched the whole thing! Good job! I enjoyed seeing you make this little winged box.
Looks like a Oneway Toolrest on your lathe... a Nova?

Ron McKinley
03-26-2009, 6:05 PM
Excellent work Bob! Thanks. What was the thickness of the piece you started with? .......Ron

Gary Kvasnicka
03-26-2009, 6:59 PM
Excellent video Bob, thanks for producing it. Now I know what the top end speed is for on my Nova. Another project to add to my list.

Bob Hamilton
03-27-2009, 6:56 AM
The maple I used in the video was 1" thick.

Bob

Joshua Dinerstein
03-27-2009, 5:17 PM
Wow Bob. Just Wow. That is truly amazing! Thanks for a great tutorial. Clear explanations and real pace that can be followed. I too have added it to my favorites on YT. Thanks for sharing your expertise and your project.

And like so many others on here I will echo the thought... When do we get the next video?!!?

Thanks Again!
Joshua

Keith Christopher
03-29-2009, 12:39 AM
Bob,

Nicely done ! The only problem I have with these is tearout. LOTS of tearout ! Never can seem to get the 'wings' smooth always looking like they were used for a cat's scratching pole. Any wood you recommend over any other ?

I just thought of something. The higher speeds also allow for 'even' thickness. The tool could possibly be a little bit forward of the spot when the next side hits it. I will crank up my lathe to full speed (scary fast) and see how it goes.

Very nice.

dennis kranz
03-29-2009, 12:56 AM
I would also like to say Well Done. Another project to try.
Dennis

Bob Hamilton
03-29-2009, 2:22 AM
Thanks.

Keith, I found that the higher speed did help me get a cleaner surface. I have not turned one of the bigger ones at top speed yet, but these small ones seem to respond well to the extra speed. I have used hard maple and ash so far for the small ones. The three larger ones I have done (at ~1500 rpm) were soft maple, ailanthus, and the one in the back of the lead in picture is sycamore.

Take care
Bob

Pat Keefe
03-29-2009, 4:09 AM
More ideas to use up those pesky, to good to throw out offcuts I have accumulated. Good Vids. Thanks for them.

Bob Hamilton
03-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Pat: I may have discovered a problem now. I seem to have changed my views on how small a scrap has to be before it is okay to throw it away.....

Buried in cutoffs :D
Bob

Jack Tyree
03-29-2009, 2:33 PM
I don't think it was an amateur production at all! I think it was top notch. I learned a lot as a newer turner. I am going to make a chuck like yours tomorrow. Thanks for all the teaching effort!

Pete Jordan
03-29-2009, 2:53 PM
Thanks Bob!