PDA

View Full Version : Router for router table

Mike OMelia
03-25-2009, 2:32 PM
I have one of those bench dog table saw wings for a router. Getting ready to mount it... what kind of router should I get? I am assuming fixed base. And I want an econmical model. But, as I have not said, I know very litttle about what kind of router should go on to a table.

Mike

Fred Hargis
03-25-2009, 2:50 PM
Since you mentioned economical, I'd suggest watching for the Freud 2200, and get it. I've had a 2000 (same thing, older model) for over 9 years in my table and it's been great. I've seen them as cheap as $100 in various places since last November. This is a plunge model that has a screw for adjusting height that works just fine without a router lift (although it's not quite as convenient). Another one I would watch for is a Hitachi MV12 or the current incarnation. These are both big routers, capable of spinning panel raisers easily. There are lots of other good ones, many better than these two, but I'm sticking with the economical aspect.

Cory Hoehn
03-25-2009, 2:55 PM
Woodcraft has a that Freud router for $99 right now.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=833708&FamilyID=80080

Mike OMelia
03-25-2009, 4:07 PM
Thanks guys, that is what I was looking for... economical, since it will be left on the table. I did not know you could use the plunge mechanism for raising and lowering while on a table... but I guess that makes sense!

The bench dog table I have is used, and the router mounting plate/insert is no good for future routers. Is it just as easy to make a new one? Out of what?

(btw, the above link is to a FT1700VCEK, thats ok, right?)

Mike

David Romano
03-25-2009, 6:00 PM
I have the bench dog cast iron table on my tble saw and love it. I have the Hitachi M12V dedicated to it. At 15A, it'll handle just about anything you can throw at it and if you need any more, you'd need a shaper. The M12V has been the best deal for a long time now. I'm noty sure how the newer version compares to the old

http://www.acetoolonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HIT-M12V&utm_source=googlebase

or

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GKC28W?smid=ARGKZ1TK0K0C7&tag=nextag-tools-mp-delta-20&linkCode=asn

For a lift I use the Lee Valley Bit Jack. It's a little unconventional, but I like the way it works

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=43039&cat=1,43000

David

Rick Thom
03-25-2009, 6:25 PM
You should also consider the Triton routers http://www.tritonwoodworking.com/router3hp.htm which come in either 2 1/4 or 3 1/4 hp models. Both are plunge varieties and equally at home in a router table or free-hand. They offer a ton of value and innovative functionality for the $ and have won many awards recently. They have built-in lifts so don't need any add-ons and have above table elevating winders and bit-changing as well as excellent dust control.

Mike OMelia
03-25-2009, 7:15 PM
Thanks guys. Both are nice routers. But I have to tell you that the triton (though not economical) is very interesting!

Uh, for grins, maybe some of you should go to the Triton site and tell me what you think about the pricing for both models..:cool:

Terry Achey
03-25-2009, 10:29 PM
I just fried my one-year old Freud that's curretnly on sale for $99. I was using it as a table mount and cutting very dense walnut raised panels. I almost replaced the router with the same attractively priced $99 Freud, but thought twice and bought a 3 1/4 hp PC instead.

The Freud will work just fine for routine routing. However, the raised panels were apparently too much even with multiple passes for the lighter hp Freud.

Terry

Charles McCracken
03-26-2009, 8:18 AM
I just fried my one-year old Freud that's curretnly on sale for $99. I was using it as a table mount and cutting very dense walnut raised panels. I almost replaced the router with the same attractively priced $99 Freud, but thought twice and bought a 3 1/4 hp PC instead.

The Freud will work just fine for routine routing. However, the raised panels were apparently too much even with multiple passes for the lighter hp Freud.

Terry

Terry,

You do know that the Freud router has a 5 year warranty, right? Call our Parts and Repair Dept. at (800) 334-4107 (option 3) to get it serviced.

Bill White
03-26-2009, 8:42 AM
Put the Freud in my RT last month. Love the soft start (though it really took some getting used to), above the table stuff, and the power.
$99.97 from Lowe's on line. Free shipping. SWEET!!
Bill :D

Rick Thom
03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys. Both are nice routers. But I have to tell you that the triton (though not economical) is very interesting!

Uh, for grins, maybe some of you should go to the Triton site and tell me what you think about the pricing for both models..:cool:
Mike, I've had the 2 1/4 hp model for a couple of years now, used mainly in my RT. It has some differences from the bigger unit but shares many features and functions. Both have exceptionally strong motors so vs and soft-start are great. As a test of the 2 1/4 hp unit, my friend who was shopping for a router to compliment his Festool stuck a 2" dia straight cutting bit in the collet and proceeded to bury it fully in an old 2" thick oak stair tread and routed the full 40" length like that. I thought it would certainly toast the router and bearings but it never hesitated or lost speed at all, just did the job in stride.
When you look at price you need to consider what you get besides the basic router because they include useful extras that most other brands don't . Of course if those extras aren't something you want or need then they don't matter for comparison purposes.
I would say that the feel of the router in my hands isn't 'industrial', but it is certainly robust and well made. I found the functions are convenient and easily deployed after I used it a few times.
If I was planning to do many raised panel doors and such or other power-hungry tasks, I'de go with the 3 1/4 hp model. For other normal RT uses or free-hand work, the 2 1/4 hp has proven good for me.
I think there are lots of good routers in the market today. In fact probably every brand has one in each size that one could be very happy with.

Jim Kountz
03-26-2009, 11:01 AM
The Freud 2200 is not the one on sale for $99. Thats another model. I also wasnt aware that the 2200 had above table adjustment. If it does I need to take another look at it for sure!!

scott spencer
03-26-2009, 11:08 AM
The Freud 2200 is not the one on sale for $99. Thats another model. I also wasnt aware that the 2200 had above table adjustment. If it does I need to take another look at it for sure!!

The FT2200 doesn't have many (if any) above table features that I'm aware of.....the 13 amp FT1700 (http://www.epinions.com/review/Freud_FT1700VCEK_2_1_4_Horsepower_Variable_Speed_F ixed_Base_Router/content_411774455428) and 15 amp FT3000 do....one handed above table bit changes are a snap! Great for table use.

jerry nazard
03-26-2009, 7:53 PM
I'll toss in another vote for the Triton 2 1/4.

Jim Kountz
03-26-2009, 8:13 PM
The FT2200 doesn't have many (if any) above table features that I'm aware of.....the 13 amp FT1700 (http://www.epinions.com/review/Freud_FT1700VCEK_2_1_4_Horsepower_Variable_Speed_F ixed_Base_Router/content_411774455428) and 15 amp FT3000 do....one handed above table bit changes are a snap! Great for table use.

Thats what I thought.

Mike OMelia
03-26-2009, 9:57 PM
Why has nobody gone to the triton website and compred the price of the two models??? Please do and tell me what you think I should do!!

Mike

Terry Achey
03-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Terry,

You do know that the Freud router has a 5 year warranty, right? Call our Parts and Repair Dept. at (800) 334-4107 (option 3) to get it serviced.

Charles,

Drats.... No, I didn't realize the warranty was 5-years. Shame on me for not checking that out before I PUT IT IN THE TRASH last Sunday :eek::eek::eek:! I did tear it down thinking perhaps the brushes were bad. Unfortunatley the motor windings were fried. Too bad because I liked the Freud router and I would by another one for hand work. Great deal for $99.

Terry

CPeter James
03-26-2009, 10:34 PM
The 5625 in my choice for a table mounted router. It is adjustable from above the table and at 3 1/2 hp and soft start will handle most any chore.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NF2JS295L.jpg

CPeter

Rich Engelhardt
03-27-2009, 5:45 AM
Hello,

Why has nobody gone to the triton website and compred the price of the two models??? Please do and tell me what you think I should do!!
Triton's website doesn't list any prices.
The link to Woodcraft however, does have prices for both.
The 3 1/4 is $229.00 and the 2 1/2 is $219.00

According to the Woodcraft listing for the 2 1/2":

"Includes over $70 in Free Accessories - a winding handle to adjust bit height from above your router table in 1/128" increments, an extended base plate with edge guide and circle cutter, 1/2" straight bit, 1/2" and 1/4" collets".

It would appear that the $70.00 in free stuff is anything but free ;).
& also, Woodcraft has an excellent price on the 3 1/4. (Amazon has it for $266.00).

Having said that - count me as another happy Freud 1700 user.
The Freud is an excellent table router for most uses.

An added bonus - as witnessed in this thread - is that Charles usually takes note of all things Freud posted here and is quick to jump in and offer help/advice.
That "personal touch" usually sways my decision in favor of Freud products whenever it's a "close" (or even not so close) call.

Mike OMelia
03-27-2009, 7:53 AM
You are correct, the triton site does not list prices, but there is a "buy now" button near the bottom and left. Takes one to another website where they are both listed for $209.

Mike

Mike OMelia
03-27-2009, 8:05 AM
Terry,

Charles,

I went to your website, but warranty info was hard to find... but I did see something about lifetime waranty under "About Us"

Could you explain further?

I think for my needs, this is the right router.

Mike

bob greenshields
03-27-2009, 8:31 AM
As a test of the 2 1/4 hp unit, my friend who was shopping for a router to compliment his Festool stuck a 2" dia straight cutting bit in the collet and proceeded to bury it fully in an old 2" thick oak stair tread and routed the full 40" length like that. .

+1 for the Tritons. They're super. I'm more surprised that the bit made it through the test than the router.

So I gotta wonder - what brand of bit was used in the test?

Rich Engelhardt
03-27-2009, 2:47 PM
Hello Mike,
You're right!
The buy now does go to a link for $209 for both.
Weird!

FWIW - by the post to Charles, I think you'll be very happy w/the Freud.
There's about a half dozen of us here at SMC that use the 1700 and are real happy with it.

Andy Sowers
03-27-2009, 3:26 PM
+1 for the Milwaukee... I have one in my table. You can find a reconditioned one at CPO (or Amazon for $260). At 3 1/2hp it handles raised panel bits with ease... it also features an above the table adjustment, although I cannot vouch for it as I have it on a lift...

Mike OMelia
03-27-2009, 4:36 PM
Hello Mike,
You're right!
The buy now does go to a link for $209 for both.
Weird!

FWIW - by the post to Charles, I think you'll be very happy w/the Freud.
There's about a half dozen of us here at SMC that use the 1700 and are real happy with it.

Hmm. I think I will put in a buy and see what happens.

Worst that could happen is that they cancel the order, huh?

Mike

Mike OMelia
03-27-2009, 11:10 PM
I just placed an order for the 3.5 hp Triton from the triton website, buy now button for $209. No shipping, no tax. Flat $209. We will see if it is for real.

Mike

Fred Hargis
03-28-2009, 7:06 AM
I just placed an order for the 3.5 hp Triton from the triton website, buy now button for $209. No shipping, no tax. Flat $209. We will see if it is for real.

Mike
Didn't that company just go bankrupt? Maybe they worked out of it, but future parts availability may be a problem.......of course, I have CRS and may be confused about the whole thing.

Joel Earl
03-28-2009, 9:49 AM
Read they did too Fred - not sure how recent but it seems within the last 3-6 months. May be a non-issue but IIRC it's been a lot of discounts offered on these things since then.

Freud big boy here in 2 tables and small PC's for hand use so never tried the Triton. The Freud new inside the table but posters here are reason they hanging in there in the first place

Mike OMelia
03-28-2009, 3:27 PM
deleted post by owner

Frank Berryman
03-28-2009, 3:32 PM
Triton went bankrupt?????
The Triton that filed for Chapter 11 was a telecommunications company, not a tool company.

Mike OMelia
03-28-2009, 5:03 PM
deleted post by owner

Mike OMelia
03-28-2009, 5:19 PM
I think it might be wise for all of the posts related to bankruptcy to be edit out. This will show up on google.

Mike

Jason White
03-28-2009, 5:23 PM
I have a Freud 2-1/2hp that works great! It's designed to allow for bit changes above the table. Plus, I think Woodcraft has them on sale right now for $100.

Jason

I have one of those bench dog table saw wings for a router. Getting ready to mount it... what kind of router should I get? I am assuming fixed base. And I want an econmical model. But, as I have not said, I know very litttle about what kind of router should go on to a table.

Mike

Jason White
03-28-2009, 5:24 PM
If you get the Freud, you don't need to mount the plunge base in the router table. Use the fixed base instead. That way you'll have the plunger for hand held routing.

Thanks guys, that is what I was looking for... economical, since it will be left on the table. I did not know you could use the plunge mechanism for raising and lowering while on a table... but I guess that makes sense!

The bench dog table I have is used, and the router mounting plate/insert is no good for future routers. Is it just as easy to make a new one? Out of what?

(btw, the above link is to a FT1700VCEK, thats ok, right?)

Mike

Rich Engelhardt
03-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Hello,

I suspected that the 1700 was a bit undermatched w/panel raisers.
Personally, even though Freud says the max size is 3", I'd never try running that large a bit in mine.
( I like mine too much to risk it.)

Yesterday, I had the chance to play with my 1700 and a few hundred feet of red oak 3/4" flooring.
I was cleaning up the edges w/a 1/2" straight bit and taking 5/64" off on each pass.

5/64" was a bit much to bite off at one time - but I got rushed and lazy.
Next time I do something similar, I'll cut back to 1/32" or 1/16" at a time.

Not that the router balked at it - it handled it with ease. Never bogged down or even showed any signs of being under load.
The 1700 performed very well!
A real pleasure to use.

Mike OMelia
03-29-2009, 3:58 PM
OK, here is what I am doing. I cancelled my Triton order. Why? 1 year warranty. And the fact that were just so many Freud recommendations. Plus the Freud has a 5 year warranty! (at least so says Charley). I will do a little more research on that. Question, what is the real difference between the 2200 and the 3000? And what does Avanti mean? The 2200 looks smallish...

Mike

Peter Elliott
03-29-2009, 5:04 PM
Well, I have the Triton because one Mag did a review of best router table routers and Triton won.. Let me dig it up but I think it was fine woodworking. Lot of great features.

Sommerfield had them at the local WW show for $199 and they were pushing them. Gave them really high marks.

I bought one to put in the bench dog contractor router table. Again, built in lift, etc.

Also, I think you should re mention about the bad post about Triton going B-krupt... Because if it's not corrected, then many who read here would think so and "catalog that for life". I know I would!

Good luck! any of your choices will work.
-Peter

Mike OMelia
03-29-2009, 5:13 PM
Thanks, Peter, I am going to wait for more input... no rush. The thing that swung me back to Freud was the 5 year warranty... although I can find nothing about that on their website. Triton has a one year warranty. BUT, I am concerned about this "Avanti" thing. Sounds like another company is producing a router and Freud is sticking their name on it. If so, I may not go for that and mosey back over to Triton.

As for those posts above, I reported my own post to bring attention to it, and the mods apparently are not concerned. Maybe you should point it out also??

Mike

Peter Elliott
03-29-2009, 5:17 PM
I can not post a link to the test but it was Fine Wood Working. It was done in 2006. Not really sure if they really changed since then but I was happy with the results.

Here is some text from Fine Woodworking #189

One clear winner
The Triton came out ahead in every important
consideration. It has the easiest
bit-changing design, an accurate and easyto-
use height adjuster, and an integrated
spindle lock/power-switch lockout. It had
the lowest bit runout measured, and it’s the
only one with good dust control. My only
quibble: The base has a 31⁄16-in. opening,
which is slightly smaller than the opening on
the other routers; my 33⁄8-in. panel-raising
bit won’t fit the Triton. I’ve made the Triton
my choice as best overall. Its $200 street
price also makes it the best value.
If you want (or can afford) only one router,
the Triton is my first recommendation.
Whenever you want to use it as a handheld
router, you have to remove it from the table
and replace the large rectangular table insert
with the standard round base.
The Freud FT1700 is a more convenient
alternative if you buy its optional plunge
base (Freud said it planned to begin offering
one in late 2006). You can leave
the fixed base attached to the router table
and drop the motor into the other base for
handheld routing.

Mike OMelia
03-29-2009, 8:02 PM
Thanks Peter. Something goofy is going on here with Freud. I cannot find the "5 year" warranty on their website that Charley mentioned. I'm not saying that Freud does not offer it, but it does not appear on their website where I can easily find it. The fact that one poster above threw his burnt out router away tells me a lot.

If I do not hear something soon about this, I am going to revert back to the Triton. Their warranty is plainly stated on their website without ambiguity.

Mike

Mike OMelia
03-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Well, if you dig a bit deeper, the rumors of bankruptcy at Triton appear more real. http://www.bikepoint.com.au/news/2008/global-machinery-group-goes-into-receivership-12767

GMC (Global Machinery Corp) bought Triton, and they are indeed in trouble. To figure this out, you must google Triton with GMC. It does not appear to be Triton's fault, but GMC's. But that is irrelevant for the end user.

So sad.

Mike

Jamie Buxton
03-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Here are two recent threads about Triton's financial state --

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98157&highlight=triton

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98619&highlight=triton

Joel Earl
03-30-2009, 8:49 AM
I tried to delete my post of BK comment - not sure who/what it factual but rather have it off and error on side of caution. Sent message to mods to help out on it.

Thanks for the other side of this - I might have bought one if I had not read all over WN to the contrare. Sometimes the net isn't so hot and hard to confirm things and the rumor mill gets hot:o

Mike OMelia
03-30-2009, 9:01 AM
I would not bother Joe. It looks like the rumor is true. In fact it is more than a rumor. When I read the responses of the North American rep, I got the impression that service would be honored, and remaining tools would be sold. Also, when he mentioned "independent", that to me sounded like he would be importing directly from China. But Since GMC owns that the Triton brand, what does this mean?

Also, when the rep was asked if "new" products would be introduced, I was perplexed by the answer. Would new SUPPLIES of CURRENT tools be available as well? We don't know from his answer.

Since Triton only has a 1 year warranty, the North American subsidy only has to hang on so long... perhaps trying to find a way to import "Triton" tools under some other branding.

Mike

Mike OMelia
03-30-2009, 2:19 PM
I finally went with the Freud 1700. Has all I need. Plus, it has a 5 year warranty.

When they are gone they are gone. Not making them anymore.

$99, free shipping, and 5 year warranty make it a no brainer.

Mike

Mike OMelia
03-30-2009, 6:03 PM
For those who care to hear the final word from Triton (I removed all email addresses.) Kind of surprising to me since it appears today was the first time they asked for guidance with this issue. I draw no conclusions.

Hi Mark [edit: acually Mike],
I hope this helps with your concerns about the Triton Routers.

Thanks
Pat
Sommerfeld's Tools For Wood

Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 2:52 PM
To:
Cc: Patricia Reuter
Subject: RE: Triton Tools

mark,

thanks we will forward to all our customers

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:43:48 -0400
To:
CC:

Hi Pat and Marc,

Here is an official statement from us.

Dear Triton user, March 30, 2009

In November 2008 Triton and GMC in Australia went into receivership. Triton in the North America was not financially related to the Australian company and remains alive and well. Stock is still being shipped from the North American distribution center today. In March 2009 Triton in Australian was sold to a consortium that includes several of the management members from the original Australian team. Globally the company has already begun trading and will be releasing new products in late 2009.

Product support in the USA and Canada will not be interrupted in any way. As always if you need anything from Triton just give us a call on 1 866 874 8661. We will provide you with the support you have always expected and enjoyed in the past. I am happy to personally answer any questions you might have in this regard.

Best Regards,

Mark Owen
Triton Workshop Systems
1 888 874 8661
www.tritonwoodworking.com (http://www.tritonwoodworking.com/)
http://gfx2.hotmail.com/mail/w3/ltr/i_safe.gif

Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 1:05 PM
To: Mark Owen
Cc: marc sommerfeld
Subject: FW: Triton Tools
Importance: High

Hi Mark,
I am forwarding an email from a customer and below Marc has told me to forward and ask exactly how we should answer questions like these.

Thanks
Pat
Sommerfeld's Tools For Wood

Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 11:59 AM
To: Patricia Reuter
yes and ask them exactly how we should answer the question.

marc

Subject: FW: Triton Tools
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:54:39 -0500
Should I forward this to Triton.

Pat

Posted At: Monday, March 30, 2009 11:11 AM
Posted To: ML
Conversation: Triton Tools
Subject: Triton Tools
Can you do or say anything that will relax my concerns regarding the bankruptcy of GMC/Triton? I really like that router, but if no one is there to answer the phone, or supply parts, etc, then why buy one?

Mike

Rick Thom
03-30-2009, 7:42 PM
Actually, the only new 'news' here is the March 2009 sale of Triton to the consortium in Australia, which most longer-term Triton owners would say is great news. When GMC took over Triton a few years back, most of the members of the Triton Owners Group forum where up in arms because of the less-than-stellar reputation for quality that the GMC brand had earned and figured it would rub off on the Triton brand which was built on quality and outstanding innovation.
Hopefully this will continue the development of great industry-leading products, both Triton's and their competitors alike. We all win that way.
A bit closer to home, many weren't to keen for similar reasons when B&D took over Delta, PC and Dewalt.

Mike OMelia
03-30-2009, 9:05 PM
Right. I have to wonder, though, why Triton does not have a useful "news" page so that folks like me do not have to hunt around for information. After all of this, I may still get the Triton. I am not the least concerned anymore.

Why in the hell did they sell to GMC in the first place?

Mike

Dennis Lopeman
03-31-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm keeping tuned, here. The 3HP Triton is the one I've had my eyes on for a few years now. I'm about to make a choice...

Thanks for everyones' inputs.

Barry Nelson
04-01-2009, 5:21 AM
Triton is dead in the water I would be very wary about buying any of their gear!
Everybody over here in Aussie is busy off loading all their Triton gear,no word on them resurfacing as yet.:eek:

Mike OMelia
04-01-2009, 8:50 AM
No offense Barry, and perhaps you should know best... but did you read the email above from Mark Owen? In the USA, a top leader in a corporation could get in a lot of trouble for purposely misleading customers. Yes, Caveat Emptor and all of that. Also, the North American Triton is financially independent of Triton Australia. If you really believe that, then contact Mark Owen.
Mike

Ken Breier
05-19-2009, 5:27 PM
I wanted to say thanks to Cory for the Freud router sale notification and link to Woodcraft.
Right you were, they had the FE1700VCEK on sale for $99 and I decided to buy 2 and put one permanently under my table. They're now all gone. I feel like such a pig. The soft start is nice when comparing it to my 20 year old 1 HP Craftsman which is still running great.
Thanks again.
Ken