PDA

View Full Version : Laser resist

Gregg Vaughn
03-25-2009, 1:08 PM
I finally got everything up-and-going on my blast cabinet & pressure pot. The laserable resist I bought for starting out came from Laserbits. Using this for the areas where design/text is will be expensive enough, what works well to protect the rest of your material in areas not directly blasted?

Mike Null
03-25-2009, 1:31 PM
depending on the shape you can use transfer paper.

David Takes
03-25-2009, 3:34 PM
Gregg,

Compared to the perceived value of etched glass and what you can and should charge for it, the resist cost is nothing. I use photo resist material that costs about $7.75 per 10"x12" sheet. I also use Lazer's Edge polyester mask from Specialty Tapes for flat glass, crystal, marble and solid surface materials.

As far as protecting the areas you do not want to blast, I would recommend either wide masking tape or a combination of masking tape and $.02 trash bags. You can get a 1,000-pack of thin mil trash back for about $18.00 at Sam's Club. Place your item in the bag, tie the open end, cut an opening the size of the area you want to blast, mask the opening, then blast. This protects the whole item and helps minimize the cleanup.

If you opt to use only masking tape, you do not have to make your item a mummy. You only need to protect a modest area around your resist material.

Gregg Vaughn
03-26-2009, 7:44 AM
Thanks! I figured the answer was simple ....

Bill Cunningham
03-26-2009, 9:24 PM
Geees.. Many, Many, Years ago I had a roll of thin rubber, with a peal off adhesive on the back.. I had no idea what it was for, it kicked around the shop for a year or so, until I finally threw it out.. :mad: And wouldn't ya know it.. NOW I know what it's for!! And my wife wonders why I never like to throw things out!! Grrrrrrr