PDA

View Full Version : Secrets to setting Brusso quadrant hinges

Larry Fox
03-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Question for those who have been successful in setting Brusso Quadrant hinges - what is your secret to success?

I have been trying to get them setup properly on some boxes and have been having some difficulty.

I have / am;

- Using the template from Brusso
- nice tight fit on the router guide bushing
- lid and base are (I believe) in the same plane
- sides of base and lid are lined up
- use a vix bit to get the screw holes started so I think they are centered.

The symptom is that when I install them and close the box there is a VERY small bit of misalignment. If there were not inlays in the box it would be tough to tell that they are misaligned ... but there are inlays and you can tell and I don't know what is going wrong.

These are stout hinges (for the price they better be) and there is absolutely 0 adjustment to them. I am striving for as close to perfection as I can get here. I always approach this task with trepedation and I want something that is repeatable.

I am using a PC 690 router which is a bit bulky but it doesn't seem to be the issue as it's movement is dictated by the template.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Doug Shepard
03-25-2009, 12:16 PM
I would suspect the screw hole locations first. As much as I like Vix bits, I dont 100% trust them when it really matters. I think the Brusso hinges are thick enough that you could use something like LVs transfer punches http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=54892&cat=1,43456 to mark the locations through the hardware. You could also make your own by getting some steel rod the same diam as the the screw holes and grinding a center point on it (a Drill Doctor would do this in seconds if you have one).

Mike Henderson
03-25-2009, 4:26 PM
If you find the secret, let me know.

What I've always done is align the hinge on the back. This will get the back lined up if you cut everything correctly. Then measure in from the side on both the box and the top.

Then, I only drill one screw hole in both the top and the box and put a screw in both to see how things fit. If I'm off, I take the screws out, shim or trim to adjust the location of the hinge and put one screw in the top and box (a different screw location). When I finally get it aligned, I go back-fill the holes that didn't work and re-drill with the one screw in that makes the hinges align.

They're a pain to get aligned - so if someone discloses a better way, I'll certainly appreciate it.

Mike

Matt Slayen
03-25-2009, 5:16 PM
I think that your router bit is not centered on the router guide bushing.
I had the same problem with the hinge templates and with a dovetail jig.
Center the bit on the guide bushing and redo.