PDA

View Full Version : How "standard" are 3.5"x3.5" 5/8" R Interior Hinges?

Walter McNeil
03-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi all,
I'm in the process of replacing all of my hollow core interior doors with 6 panel solid pine. I made a router jig for the hinges and got them all hung with the original Stanley brand brass finish hinges, but we're changing to nickel hardware and I'm having trouble finding nickel finish hinges locally. If I order new 3.5"x3.5" 5/8" R 3-screw hinges will they have exactly the same screw hole locations as the old hinges, or does it vary between manufacturers?
Thanks,
Walt

Chris Harry
03-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi all,
I'm in the process of replacing all of my hollow core interior doors with 6 panel solid pine. I made a router jig for the hinges and got them all hung with the original Stanley brand brass finish hinges, but we're changing to nickel hardware and I'm having trouble finding nickel finish hinges locally. If I order new 3.5"x3.5" 5/8" R 3-screw hinges will they have exactly the same screw hole locations as the old hinges, or does it vary between manufacturers?
Thanks,
Walt

Have you checked HD or Lowes? Thats where I found my 3.5" 5/8R hinges in satin nickel.

They were actually "open stock" items, not in bags, you just get the hinge and buy the screws separately.

Russ Boyd
03-25-2009, 5:28 PM
I think you'll be fine, but if not, just plug the holes then re-drill. You can quickly plug the holes with toothpicks, break it off then drill over. Russ

Mark Bolton
03-25-2009, 5:35 PM
Most all will be standard though I will warn you that many of the home center hinges are very low quality with very thin plating. Often times within 3-5 years the cheap hinges will begin to pit and rust especially in humid environments. Its another one of those things where you benefit from buying quality.

Mark

tim harris
03-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Hello Gentlemen, as a alternate to Russ's toothpick suggestion, I have also used golf tees. Drill out the hole, glue in the tee, after tapping with a mallet, cut off and then the new hinge will cover the old holes. Let the glue dry prior to hanging weight on the hinge.

I have done this for several clients, the 3.5 - 5/8" radius is a standard. But I find that the holes are usually slightly off, this sometimes cocks the screw if forced. If a hinge comes with a # 8 screw and the hole is loose, try a #9. the blue big box has them in a bag seperate from the hinges.

just my 2 cents . .

lowell holmes
03-26-2009, 9:03 AM
I never used the golf tees since I'm not a golfer, but I will sharpen a dowel and use it.