PDA

View Full Version : Leak detection scheme?

Jamie Buxton
03-25-2009, 10:52 AM
I have a cyclone-style chip collector (a Woodsucker) which has been working well for three years. However, recently it has started behaving like there's a leak in the cyclone or chip barrel: more heavy particles are appearing at the filter. I've been all over it looking for the leak, but with no success. I've tried a smoke pencil. I've tried floating a piece of tissue paper around potential leak areas. Anybody have a better way to find leaks?

david brum
03-25-2009, 11:13 AM
What about soapy water?

Chris Padilla
03-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Sanding with a drum sander will usually pretty quickly find leaks! You'll find build-up around/near the leak...DAMHIKT! ;)

One other thing that will send chips into the filters is allowing your sawdust bin to overflow up into the cone of the cyclone...DAMHIKT either! :D

Jamie Buxton
03-25-2009, 10:06 PM
I think I'm hunting for a leak of air going into the cyclone or duct barrel. The cyclone interior is at a lower pressure than the outside. That is, soapy water would make bubbles inside the machine, where I can't see them. And dust from a sander would stay inside.

harry strasil
03-25-2009, 10:22 PM
turn off the collector and use a shopvac to pressurize the system. dampen your hand and move it around the outside till you feel air on your hand.