PDA

View Full Version : Marketing to Sign Shops

Steve Clarkson
03-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Scott had mentioned a week or two ago that if you had 3-4 sign shops that they would keep you pretty busy. So I'm starting to do a little marketing research about who I should approach and how.

The shops without lasers or CNC's should be easy to identify, But if a shop has a CNC, would there be any need for laser services? In other words, is there anything a laser can do better, cheaper, or faster that a CNC can't?

I was planning to put together a small portfolio of items to show.....ie. nametag size cut and engraved items such as different colored acrylics, wood cut and engraved in different ways, fabrics such as leather or fleece, engraved glass and mirrors, cut and engraved corian, engraved marble/granite/brick/rocks (not quite sure how I'll get these in nametag size!), LED edgelit acrylic, stencils or sandblast resist masks.......any other ideas?

Should I just be looking for referrals or to actually do the behind-the-scenes subcontracting work (where they handle all contact/billing with the customer)?

The obvious question will be.....how much do you charge? Do I give them a general $2/minute or more specific $2/sq inch....so they can quote their customers?

Any other advice for approaching sign shops?

Thanks!

Mike Null
03-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Steve

I have three sign shops as customers. Mostly I'm making name tags and small things including sublimated brass labels.

Tim Bateson
03-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Mike, Do you cut these on the laser, buy them pre-cut, or do it manually?

Joe Pelonio
03-25-2009, 1:13 PM
What you do depends on the sign shop. I currently do work for several, though I am a sign shop. One does only large format printing, and for them I do mostly laser cut acrylic that they mount some of their prints on for small signs like apartment/condo door number signs. The ones that I do the most work for are advertising specialty/marketing dealers that sell only, and use me and others for the actual work, depending on what it is. In each case I have negotiated their prices. It pretty much has to be less than what you sell retail for, in order for them to make a profit, but how much less is something that can be worked out. Remember they are going to find the customers, do the artwork in the format you want, and collect the money, so you are saving time and money. It could range from 10% to as much as 50% off retail prices depending on volume. Just make sure you are still making a profit and negotiate changes as materials go up in cost.

People with a CNC may still want laser cut items since the edges are nicer,
and may also use you for name badges and desk name plates. Rotary engravers and CNC machines use a bit, even the smallest leave a round
corner which is not often satisfactory when the customer needs a lot of detail.

Many sign shops have neither a CNC or laser and send that out to someone else already, so you may have to prove that your work is a better value for them. I actually do work for some wholesale customers that they resell to sign shops who then sell to the customer.

Mike Null
03-25-2009, 1:26 PM
Tim

I cut all engraving plastic with the laser and usually bevel most of them. On the sublimated stuff if I use metal I cut it myself or if I use FRP I buy the blanks or sometimes cut larger ones on the tablesaw and round the corners with a file.

I do black and white sub in house and outsource color dye sub. sheets.

My wholesale price to sign shops for name tags averages around $6.50 with magnets.

Steve Clarkson
03-25-2009, 3:47 PM
Thanks guys. Now I have to figure out where to find these advertising specialty/marketing dealers!

Mike Null
03-25-2009, 4:09 PM
That's a horse of another color. Those guys don't want to pay a fair price and some of don't want to pay at all. Get your money up front.

Scott Erwin
03-25-2009, 4:17 PM
That's a horse of another color. Those guys don't want to pay a fair price and some of don't want to pay at all. Get your money up front.

Small unmarked bills is the best....

Scott Shepherd
03-25-2009, 6:17 PM
Everyone is different, so you might try something different than I would, but I don't see much value in taking fabric samples to a sign person. You need to think about the things that their customers would be coming to them for. Acrylic letters, wood letters, anything that's a letter or even better, a logo. An acrylic logo would be a great example to take to them.

The laser has advantages over the CNC router in a number of places. You can cut detail and sizes that the CNC won't in most cases. The router involves torque, where as the laser does not, so some problem jobs for a router are perfect for the laser.

Just think about what they are selling. Signs. Logos. Items that help a company brand itself. Forget the trinkets and go for items that they will be happy to tell their customers they can offer them.

Steve Clarkson
03-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks Scott.....I like the acrylic logo idea. If you have any other ideas for samples, I'd love to hear them.