PDA

View Full Version : Quick release-type nuts?

Jason White
03-25-2009, 9:34 AM
I have a Grizzly cabinet saw with the original blade guard/splitter. The splitter is held in place with 3 nuts, one at the rear of the throat plate and two behind the table (connected to the trunnion assembly).

Every time I want to remove the blade guard, I have to find a 12mm wrench. Are there any kind of "quick release" or "tool-less" type nuts I can replace these with? I've seen the "ratcheting" types, but haven't seen them in any of the hardware stores.

Jason

Brian Kent
03-25-2009, 9:46 AM
I thought about replacing the nuts with the handles you use on jigs, but haven't found the right size for clearance yet.

Ken Higginbotham
03-25-2009, 9:49 AM
Can you post a picture of the saw / guard nuts?

Chip Lindley
03-25-2009, 10:05 AM
I would not want anything to *quick-release* while the saw in Running! Perhaps a cheapo 3/8-drive ratchet and 12mm socket might be a better/safer investment. (faster than a wrench too!) Maybe it's time to look at an over-arm blade guard and a more convenient, click-in/click-out splitter such as the Biesemeyer.

Jamie Buxton
03-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Suppose you had a "nut" which had the correct threading, but was several inches in outside diameter. You could tighten it down pretty tight with just your fingertips. Do you have space for such a large-diameter nut? If so, get a piece of steel the appropriate thickness, and drill-and-tap the correct hole through it. The "nut" wouldn't even have to be a circle. You could make it long in one direction, but short in the other -- that is, make if from bar stock.

Ken Higginbotham
03-25-2009, 11:01 AM
I was thinking modify the holes so that the nut would not have to come all the way off and then have a dedicated dime store 12m hanging near-by...

Chris Padilla
03-25-2009, 11:35 AM
SharkGuard? :) Probably a little pricier than what you want. :D

John Thompson
03-25-2009, 11:52 AM
I would not want anything to *quick-release* while the saw in Running! Perhaps a cheapo 3/8-drive ratchet and 12mm socket might be a better/safer investment. (faster than a wrench too!) Maybe it's time to look at an over-arm blade guard and a more convenient, click-in/click-out splitter such as the Biesemeyer.

I have a small 3/8" ratchet wrench (about 3 1/2" long from a local auto parts store) with a cheap 7/16" socket on it that hangs on the back of my TS on a hook. It takes me under 10 seconds to release the nut bolt on the inside of saw. I use two ratchet 5/16" on the exposed outside rear of splitter attachments. One turn on each releases them.

My splitter came off and went back on four times yesterday with 3 blade changes. Not a problem as the ratchet you suggested to the OP works lie a charm.

Regards...

Sarge..

Jason White
03-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Most modern splitters and riving knives have some type of tool-less, quick-release type mounting system.

Jason White
03-25-2009, 1:04 PM
For now, yes.

SharkGuard? :) Probably a little pricier than what you want. :D

Rod Sheridan
03-25-2009, 2:22 PM
My splitter has a seat belt buckle type of release.

You insert a pencil through the hole in ZCI and push, then pull up on the splitter.

It simply snaps back in...........Rod.

Chip Lindley
03-25-2009, 2:55 PM
Most modern splitters and riving knives have some type of tool-less, quick-release type mounting system.

Jason, I think you missed my Point! You are trying to adapt something which was designed to be securely *bolted* on, to a *quick-release* solution. I fear something only *finger-tight* might vibrate lose during operation, putting the TS, the blade, (and You) in harms way!

Manufactured aftermarket solutions are designed for quick-release, but also with provision that accidental *disengagement* is negated by the design of the mechanism. I guess a cheapo ratchet and socket is just a bit Lo-Tek, huh?

Doug Shepard
03-25-2009, 3:37 PM
... I've seen the "ratcheting" types, but haven't seen them in any of the hardware stores.

Quite a few years ago I converted a Delta benchtop mortiser to tool-free using the ratcheting type knobs. At the time, Grizzly was the best source I could find for them. They had both standard and metric sizes and I needed both. I just had to cut the bolt length shorter on them to work out for my mortiser.

Doug Shepard
03-26-2009, 9:08 AM
Found em
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2009/Main/364

Matt Benton
03-26-2009, 9:40 AM
Go here and search for "adjustable handle". You'll get all the options you could ever want...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml

Steve Rozmiarek
03-26-2009, 10:30 AM
https://shop.felder-gruppe.at/felder/shop_category.php?region=us-us&real_shop_cuid=237&shop_site=shop_node116

Try these from Felder maybe? They are made by Knip I think, I can find out the maker for sure at lunch if you want to know. They also sell ones that do not have the bolt, just a nut. They have a spring loaded nut inside of them, so you can turn they say 1/4 turn, pull out the handle a 1/8" or so, reste, and go another 1/4 turn. Picture the same action as a ratchet, just simpler.

Ray Dockrey
03-26-2009, 10:33 AM
I use one of those ratcheting handles on my Unisaw. I leave the back bolt just loose enough so I can rotate the guard out of the way. The only issue using the handle is that if you go to do a bevel cut the base of the handle is to thick and it will hit the insert. I learned this over the weekend.

Jason White
03-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!!

Jason

Found em

Jason White
03-26-2009, 2:09 PM
Ordered some today. Thanks again!

Found em

Matt Benton
03-26-2009, 3:40 PM
Not sure if it matters, but the Grizzly's look like they may be composite as opposed to metal. May want to check....