PDA

View Full Version : Cincinnati PWW event - anyone going??

John Keeton
03-25-2009, 6:51 AM
Popular Woodworking is having a tool event May 16 -17 at the shop in Cincinnati. Anyone plan to attend?? Looks like a neat event - and free!!

Randy Klein
03-25-2009, 7:23 AM
I plan on being there.

Richard Magbanua
03-25-2009, 7:42 AM
I'll be in town visiting my sister-in-law who just moved down the street from there. Lucky me!!!

Berl Mendenhall
03-25-2009, 8:56 AM
I plan to attend. I'm tring to get some guys togeather to car pool.

Jim Sears
03-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Can someone fill me in on the details of this "event"? What is it and where is it?
Thanks...
Jim

Richard Magbanua
03-25-2009, 12:02 PM
http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/LieNielsen+And+Other+Makers+Coming+Here+May+1617.a spx

John Keeton
03-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Richard, I had that link in my original post, so in case yours gets edited out, here are the specifics - with hyperlinks removed.

"Make plans to be in Cincinnati on May 16-17, 2009, for a free woodworking show at our offices here at Popular Woodworking and Woodworking Magazine.

Lie-Nielsen Toolworks' traveling Hand Tool Event is coming to Cincinnati. There will be free demos, tours of our shop and plenty of time to ask questions about setting up and using hand tools.

In addition to Lie-Nielsen, there are several other toolmakers planning on exhibiting at the show, including:

John Economaki of Bridge City Tools. See the Jointmaker Pro (which we awarded a Best New Tool of 2008 award) in action.

Ron Hock of Hock Tools. Ron is a long-time bladesmith who is extremely knowledgeable about steels and sharpening. Ask him about his forthcoming book on sharpening tools.
Kevin Drake of Glen-Drake Tool Works. Kevin builds my favorite marking gauge of all time (the Tite-Mark), plus other thoughtful tools, including chisel hammers, plane hammers and the thought-provoking double-handled dovetail saw.

Ron Brese of Brese Planes. Ron makes incredible infill handplanes at down-to-earth prices. If you're in the market for an infill, he's should definitely be on your short list.

Bob Zajicek of Czeck Edge Hand Tool will be showing off his wares. He makes fantastic marking knives, awls and other tools.

Jameel Abraham of Benchcrafted will be showing his awesome wagon vise, plus I hear he has a new product in the works that is very interesting.

And the entire magazine staff will be there. Senior Editor Glen D. Huey will be demonstrating how to hand cut dovetails (pins-first). Senior Editor Robert W. Lang will be demonstrating how to cut through-mortises. And Managing Editor Megan Fitzpatrick will be reciting bawdy early modern poems on the hour.

I'll be there, too, showing off drawboring, advanced nailing (yes, it exists), sharpening, sawing, stock preparation and running at the mouth (my best skill).

As a bonus, we'll have some great workbenches there for you to examine and use. Lie-Nielsen Toolworks is bringing some of its benches. Plus there will be Glen's Shaker workbench, Bob's modern workbench and my Roubo. And if Megan gets her act together, you'll be able to see her new bench that we're helping design that uses a very unusual material.

Be sure to bring the family. We're one block from the area's biggest upscale mall. And Cincinnati has lots of excellent attractions (Megan has written about them here), good watering holes and great restaurants (I'll follow up with my favorite list in a couple weeks).

You don't have to register. Just show up. And admission is free. So set your GPS for 4700 E. Galbraith Road, Cincinnati, OH, 45236. Or use this handy Google map to plan your trip. We hope you can make it."

Dave Lehnert
03-25-2009, 7:34 PM
Can someone fill me in on the details of this "event"? What is it and where is it?
Thanks...
Jim

Just don't look for an old barn or workshop like building. It is in an upscale office building. A rock throw from I-71. On the opposite corners of the Kenwood Town Center and Jewish Hospital.
A very large woodworking tool dealer is close by but are closed on weekends.
They have all the big stuff for pro shops.

Chris Rosenberger
03-25-2009, 10:23 PM
I plan to attend.

The show times are 12-6 on Saturday and 10-5 on Sunday.

John Keeton
03-30-2009, 7:53 PM
Bump to check for current interest. Looks like Saturday for me!

Rob Diz
04-04-2009, 10:20 PM
I live nearby and of course have a number of conflicts. I may be heading over on Sunday when my kids are at Sunday school.

I have been bitten by the "I need a real workbench bug" and am very interested in seeing Jameel's vise. At the moment, I'm torn between just using what I have on the end and retrofitting Jameel's vise if and when my vise fails, or just biting the bullet now. Of course, the economy sucks and money is tight yada yada yada.

But I'll still be heading over to PWW, either on Saturday during the day, or more likely Sunday morning.

I have a feeling that the place will be packed

Jacob Mac
04-04-2009, 11:20 PM
I really want to go. I haven't been to Ohio since I went to college there. This looks like a lot of fun, but the drive from Kansas, or the cost of a flight and hotel might make it prohibitive. Probably better off spending that money and finnishing my work bench and torsion box I have been procrastinating on.

Rob Luter
05-13-2009, 8:40 AM
Just a bump to remind folks of this event.

I'll be there Saturday and am looking forward to meeting some Creekers.